Monday, July 16, 2012

Howes Cavern Adventure!!!

Meg mentioned the idea of taking the kids to HOWES CAVERNS this summer, and I suggested that we do that today.  So, they got up a bit early and we were able to leave my house around 9:15 a.m. We took both cars and I dropped the PACIFICA off at Value Motors in order to have it looked at, since I noticed a strange light that came on this past Friday.

We arrived at Howes Caverns  .


around 10:30 a.m. and went inside.  I purchased the tickets while Megan and the kids meandered around the gift shop.  We were on tour five, and it left shortly.  We were in a small group of tourists, but I did not like our tour guide.  She seemed to be in a hurry. Here is a picture of Cassy and Tyler taken during the guided tour.


The four of us enjoyed the tour of the caverns, and I took a lot of pictures.  After we took the elevator back up to the lobby, I suggested that we have our picnic lunch.  I had made subs that morning and we had subs, potato chips, cherries and drinks.  AND some chocolate covered butter mints that I had purchased in the sweets shop.

After lunch, the kids wanted to immediately go over to the gift shop, but I suggested that we check out the
other activities first.  They have a lot of new above ground activities now that they did not have years ago.
The kids were each able to purchase a bag of sand with either fossils, arrowheads or precious stones and then "pan" them to see what they found.  Tyler chose fossils and Cassie chose precious stones and they had so much fun "panning".  Each kid chose a bag full of polished stones from the shop in that building.  They had SO much fun and were so excited with their findings.  I kinda wanted to purchase a bag myself and do it!

 We checked out the outside activities, there was a bouncing ride, an obstacle course and ziplines.  The kids wanted to do the ropes course.  And here they are!
   They really enjoyed it.  At first, I didn't think Tyler would make it through, but he persisted and made it!  I was so proud of him.

Then it was time to go to the gift shop.  I purchased some postcards and the kids each chose something.  And then we headed out.  Megan wanted some coffee from DUNKIN DONUTS, so we drove to downtown Cobleskill.  After that purchase we were  driving by some shops and I think Megan, Cassy and I all noticed some gorgeous tie die skirts hanging out in front  of a shop and we all exclaimed "look at those beautiful skirts."
I suggested that we stop, so Meg found a parking spot and we went in.  Megan ordered a blue tie dye skirt which will be especially made for her.  I look forward to going back to Cobleskill with her to pick it up, since Cobleskill has a very interesting Main Street.

Then we went to a used book shop just across the street and each kid chose a book
We were going to drive down Route 7 (the scenic route), but I called Mike and my car was ready and I was anxious to get to his shop before closing, so we got back on 88.    I was able to get my car back and we all arrived home around 5:15 or 5:20 p.m.  It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment