Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stone School House, Margaretville, NY August 20, 2009

This is an account of a past adventure. My friend Terry's birthday is August 20th and I suggested to her that we take a day trip to celebrate. She left the planning up to me. I decided to head into the northern Catsills to the town of Margaretville because I knew about a geocache at an interesting place, this old school house in the picture.

We left early in the morning. Our first stop was in Delhi, New York. I wanted to show Terry a very old shop on Main Street. It is referred to as "the old fashioned store". The store has not been updated inside, and the shelving, display cases remind me of when I was a child in the fifties. Unfortunately, the shop was closed today.

On the way to Margaretville, we passed through the small town of Andes. We had not planned on stopping there, but we did. We went into a few shops and looked around. Andes is a very colorful and interesting town. We arrived in Margaretville at lunch time, and found our way to The Cheese Barrel where we had soup and sandwiches for lunch. The Cheese Barrel is a neat shop that sells all sorts of imported food items, but I don't recall seeing any cheese for sale. We checked out a few shops. One is a clothing shop which is in the lobby of an old theatre. We located the old stone school house and I found the geocache.

We headed back towards home in the early afternoon. We stopped in Andes again and had ice cream. Instead of taking our same route home, we decided to go to Hamden. I wanted to show Terry The Lucky Dog, which is a restaurant, bakery and shop. The shop has all original shelving and display cases. It was more of a rural general store than the one in Delhi. We stopped and went inside and spent a few minutes and then headed back to Oneonta. We also stopped to see the Eagles Nest that is visible from the road.

It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment