Saturday, January 2, 2010

January 1, 2010

Is there a better way to celebrate New Years Day? I don't think so. This is the first time I have done something special on New Years Day in a really long time. It was fairly warm for this time of year (around thirty degrees, I think), although the sky was gray and there were intermittent snow showers.

Luckless and I made plans to meet up in Oneonta and go geocaching and out to lunch. Before I left, she reminded me that I had not yet found a geocache hidden near The Daily Star, so I found that before going to her house.
Our first stop was at a rest area along I-88, where Luckless found a geocache that I had previously found, and then we headed out to Bainbridge. We stopped at the place where she usually buys Maple Syrup, but it was closed, as was the Mennonite Store (well it was New Years Day). We found a cache in a large cemetery in Bainbridge. I showed Luckless where The FrogPond is. FrogPond is a fantastic fruit and vegetable stand, where the prices are good and they have a HUGE variety. Of course, its closed now, but now she knows where to find it. After that we headed to Sidney for lunch. We ate at The Trackside Cafe, a place she had been before. It was my first time there, and I hope to go again. The prices are good, its clean and the service is prompt. I had the best Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich that I have ever had. I told Luckless that it was better than the one I had in Philadelphia. While in Sidney, we stopped at KMart and I was able to find a birthday present for my daughter, Christa. She will turn 25 in a couple of weeks.

When we drove through Unadilla, I told Luckless there was something I wanted to show her. We went to the old abandoned train depot. I wanted her to see the old heater that is inside the building. However, today it was too dark in that room, and we did not have a flashlight with us.1stxzOG0Rx4/s320/DSCN5086.JPG" />




I think this was Luckless's first introduction to urban explorations and I think maybe she enjoyed it! Maybe I can interest her in doing some further urban exploring. The pictures are of the depot from the outside and the heater inside(I took these pictures during another outing earlier in the fall).

Luckless looked for a cache in Unadilla, but was unable to find it. I had found it previously with my sister. I think its missing. Then we drove through Wells Bridge, stopping so she could find one of my caches at the old foot bridge. Here is a picture of the old footbridge:


Anyways, it was a great day. Thanks for thinking of going to Bainbridge, Luckless! I think I covered everything we did: geocaching, urban exploring, shopping and going out to lunch!

2 comments:

  1. You're off to a great start Carolyn! Keep up the good work! I found the link to your blog on facebook.

    Barb Burgess

    ReplyDelete