Friday, January 8, 2010

9/25/2009 The Sugar Maples Resort, Maplecrest, NY

My friend Judy told me that the summer after she graduated from high school, she worked at the Sugar Maples Resort in Maplecrest, New York. I suggested that we take a day trip and check out the Maplecrest. We finally got to do that on September 25, 2009, a gorgeous fall day.

I picked her up in the morning and we headed towards Maplecrest. We stopped to have lunch at Michael's Diner in Windham, New York.

We had no problems getting to Maplecrest (thanks to mapquest). I was surprised at how small the town was, it seemed like most of the town was part of The Sugar Maples(or whatused to be the Sugar Maples).


A couple of buildings have been remodeled and are used by an art society. The rest are abandoned and empty, and for the most part, they are wide open. (an urban explorers dream come true!)

This is a picture of the main building. Judy worked and lived in this building at first, but after a few weeks she was given a room in a small cabin at the rear of the property. Since there were workmen near the roadway that led to the rear area, we did not go back there.

The front door to the main building was open and I poked my head inside and took a picture, but I did not go in. I took several pictures, some of which are posted in my photostream on flickr.com If you click on the picture, I think it will take you to my photostream where you can access the "set" of pictures of the Sugar Maples Hotel in Maplecrest, New York.

On the drive back, we passed a small church and cemetery. I stopped and got out and looked around. The sign said it was THE SMALLEST ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN THE CATSKILLS. There is a very interesting green grave marker in front that tells about several Irish girls who perished in a fire.

I would like to return to Maplecrest someday and look around more. So many places to go........so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment