Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday, January 22, 2010















Cooperstown, New York Ruins
Originally uploaded by JuneNY



Luckless and I met up at ten thirty a.m. at her house and we headed to Portlandville. There is a geocache hidden at a boating access area on Goodyear Lake there. We found that one without any trouble. Then we went to find another one, I think it was at a fishing access area. Luckless pretty much told me how to get there. That involved quite a trek in the woods with some bushwhacking. After that we drove to Cooperstown to try to find a geocache hidden near one of the museums. We were not successful in finding that one, but we did find these ruins which are of a private bridge over Glimmerglen Stream. The bridge was part of the
Glimmerglen Estate which was torn down in the sixties.

Down by the lake edge there were two interesting looking buildings. They were built by the New York State Historical Association and are examples of cabins belonging to early trappers or native indians.

We talked a bit about going into the New York Historical Association which seemed to be the only building in the whole museum complex that was open. I was starting to fade a bit, so I suggested going out for lunch.

The place we chose for lunch turned out to have a very interesting history. Originally, it was a meat storage building, where people rented freezer space to keep their meat in. That was before most people had their own freezers at home. The long narrow one story building in the picture is
Jackie's Restaurant in Milford. The menu says its where the locals hang out, and I think thats true.
We headed back to Oneonta and I dropped Luckless off. I decided to stop on River Street and take a couple pictures of a vacant mom and pop type store. I was in it a few times before it closed down. I am not sure how many years it has been closed, but I am guessing maybe eight.
It was a good day, but somewhat tiring. I laid down about three thirty and slept for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment