Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Brookfield, New York Adventure: November 2, 2009











On November 2, 2009, my friend Carol wanted to go to a tack shop in Brookfield . I had never been to that area so it was a perfect chance for me to take my camera along and get some pictures of someplace new and different. When I checked geocaching.com I found that there were geocaches hidden in that area, so I printed out the information.


We left mid morning and headed towards Brookfield. Carol had been there before, but she forgot the exact directions. Lndmarks along the way helped a great deal. We stopped at what appeared to be a highway department garage to make sure we were on the right track. While Carol went in to ask, I turned my GPS on and found out that we were within a couple hundred feet of one of the caches: BROOKFIELD STEEL ANGEL. We decided not to look for it just yet, since we would be coming back that same way.
We headed on to the Tack Shop, but found it closed when we arrived. I turned my GPS on again and we headed towards the cache. We found ourselves driving around in the Beaver Creek State Forest. Some of the roads were rather questionable (narrow, winding, lots of potholes, etc) so we went slowly. We found the Quaker Hill Cemetery and were successful in locating the cache hidden there.
Then we headed towards the Little Cross Cemetery to find the one hidden there. Again we were on questionable dirt roads heading out into what my Australian friend would refer to as "the bush". This cemetery was not visible from the road, but we parked in a spot that seemed to be close to the coordinates. A walk through the woods and across a neat bridge took us to the cemetery and we found the geocache.
While we were exploring the Little Cross Cemetery I asked Carol if she tells her grown sons about the places she goes, and she said "no, they would think I am nuts".
By this time, it was well after noon and we were getting hungry, so we headed back to the town of Brookfield. We were happy to see a sign pointing to a DINER, but when we got there, we found that it was closed on Mondays. We decided to head back towards New Berlin where there would be a choice of eating places. But first, we had to stop and look for the Steel Angel. Apparently, its hidden in or on a huge old plow that is standing outside of the highway department, but we were not able to find it. On the way to New Berlin, we spotted another old cemetery and we stopped for a minute or two to check it out.
We had a late lunch at the New Berlin Diner which had recently reopened. On the way back to Carol's house, we noticed an old schoolhouse in the town of Columbus and we stopped to take a couple of pictures. The sign said that arrangements can be made to go inside by calling a certain number. I hope to do that during another exploration/adventure.
From top to bottom, the pictures are me on the bridge leading to Little Cross Cemetery, a view of Little Cross Cemetery, the diner in Brookfield and the Columbus Quarter Schoolhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment