Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Mini Solo Road Trip

Today was an absolutely gorgeous Spring day and after doing some volunteer work at the church, I decided to take a couple of hours and do some exploring.  Also, I wanted to try out my binoculars.

I headed out towards the IROQUOIS NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE.  I stopped at TOPS and purchased a wrap and a chocolate milk and headed on my way.  I wondered if I would be able to find the Visitors Center on Casey Road.  I did find it and spent about fifteen minutes there, looking around, picking up some information and purchasing a postcard.


Then I looked at a map and decided to drive around a bit.  I continued down Casey Road and then went east into Alabama, NY, and then got back on 77.  I drove on 77 for a bit, stopping at a couple of overlooks and trying out my binocular.  They work well, but are old and big and bulky.  

 I turned north on Salt Works Road.  which took me right through the refuge.  I noticed this interesting sign 
When I reached the corner of SALT WORKS ROAD and WEST SHELBY ROAD, I saw a really small old cemetery.  I stopped to take a couple of pictures.  
According to findagrave.com  this is the OLD WEST SHELBY CEMETERY.  

I turned west on West Shelby Road, and passed the fire station and continued.  I found another old cemetery (I think it is on Gilbert Road), and stopped to take a couple of pictures 

findagrave.com says this is the GILBERT CEMETERY and it in Royalton Center (Niagara County) and now I realize that I have been here before, about 13 months ago when I stopped to  find a geocache while driving across the state.
I continued in the direction I thought would take me to Lockport(west) and found myself on Chestnut Ridge Road (the second time). 
I stopped at a place called OLEARS and had an ice cream cone.   Its a convenience store, a couple of miles east of Lockport on Chestnut Ridge.  Mostly, I wanted to find out if they serve food there (for future excursions) and they do.  

It was a great afternoon!  I was in three countys: Niagara, Orleans and Genesee!


No comments:

Post a Comment