Monday, April 20, 2015

OWL PROWL Adventure: April 18, 2015

Earlier today, I went to a VOLUNTEERS BANQUET for the Lockport CareNet Center.  I have done some volunteer work for them, which is why I was invited.  I sat with Peggy and David.  Lunch was wraps, salad and a lemon desert, along with soda.  It was very good.  The banquet itself was disappointing since they did not have any type of program.

This evening Mary Ann picked me up so we could go to the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge for an OWL PROWL.  She has gone several times in the past.  This is the inside of the Visitors Center on Casey Road.  Apparently, the building is very new and replaced an older, smaller building.
We arrived a few minutes late and everyone was in a conference room down at the end listening to the leader describe what we would be doing.   He stressed that there was no guarantee that we would see any owls.    When he was finished, we got into our car and followed him to a parking area near the trail 
Here is our leading giving us last minute instructions.  He explained exactly where we would be going and what he would be doing and what he expected of us.  

We headed down the trail.  It was still light out, but dusk was quickly approaching. I took these pictures on our way to the first stop.  

By the time we stopped it was getting dusky.  Our leader started to call out to the owls (a particular kind) and after a few minutes they flew in and landed in the branches overhead.  Here is a picture of a BARRED Owl, which is the one that flew in.  
But of course, we could not see it this well, since it was dark out by then.  
 It was spectacular!  Next time I will take my binoculars with me!  Many of us had small flashlights which we used to illuminate the ground in front of us.

We backtracked and he tried  to call in other owls but we did not have any success.  We finally arrived back at the parking area and then walked a ways down the road where he tried again, without success    He asked if anyone wanted to make a stop on the way back to the Visitors Center, and most people did, so we followed him and stopped while he tried again.  Again, no success.  But it was a beautiful spring evening and I enjoyed every minute of it.  

I hope to become involved in more activities at the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge, now that I know a bit about it.  It is less than a half an hour drive from my house!    I drove through the refuge (or maybe along the side of it) many, many times while driving between Oneonta and Lockport over the years  






No comments:

Post a Comment