Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend 2013

Christa and I set out at nine a.m. on Sunday May 26th. Our destination was Lockport, New York where we would spend the night, in order to attend my brothers wedding at Golden Hill State Park.  We stopped at at DUNKIN DONUTS in Cazenovia.  I stopped to take a picture of this "field of flags" just west of Waterloo.

We had lunch at Tom Wahl's in Avon (I had a Wahlburger and an orange float and Christa had a bacon cheeseburger)

 and we arrived at three p.m.    I called my sister to let her know we made it there safely and then I took a much needed nap.  Peggy picked Christa and I up a little before six p.m. and we headed to Golden Beach State Park.  We thought we would be early arrivals, but it seemed like everyone else was already there.  I took this picture of seagulls at the end of the pier.

Food was served (cold cuts, rolls, some vegetables, chips and soda) and then the bridal party (Mike, Janie and their kids) went to the top of the lighthouse where Peggy performed the ceremony.  Here is a picture of the wedding party at the top of the lighthouse.   Those of us down below could not hear the ceremony.  As soon as they were finished and headed down, we all went over to the door of the lighthouse to greet the "brand new Mr. and Mrs. Mike Niethe".

Here is a picture of Christa with my
sister, Peggy.

Cake was served and then Mike built a bonfire.  I was glad to get out of my dressy clothes and shoes and into jeans and sneakers.  We all sat around the fire for maybe a half hour and then people started to leave.  It was pretty chilly!

Monday morning, Christa and I met Peggy at LaPort's and we had a great breakfast.  This is called the 1, 2, 3 because it has one egg, two strips of bacon and three pancakes.  Christa gave me a few of her homefries.Even the oatmeal was delicious!

and then we went to Pegs house and we took my rolltop desk out of the back of my Pacifica and got it onto the back porch.  I had a look at the work being done on the new bathroom (its great!).  Then we went to Glenwood Cemetery to see Dad's grave (Christa had not seen it before) and then to Cold Springs Cemetery so Christa could see the grave markers for her maternal great grandparents. This is Christa and Peggy looking for my grandparents Niethe's grave marker in Glenwood Cemetery.  Christa found it!
 Then to Memorial Park to see the bricks with Dad's name and the one for his father.  Then we went to Lake Effect Ice Cream at their new location.
  Back to Peg's house where I changed into shorts, and then Christa and I headed for home.  The last thing I did before leaving Lockport was to replace my geocache THE POOR HOUSE.  Finders had reported it being in very poor condition.  Now there is a brand new geocache there (one that I won at the last event I attended).

I drove about 100 miles on the thruway and then got onto Route 20.  Since we had ice cream around lunch time, we did not stop for lunch, but ended up at ROMA'S in Morris, New York for supper around six p.m. Christa and I shared an antipasto salad, a garlic cheese pizza and an order of garlic knots (we brought a lot of each item home with us).  We arrived home around seven p.m.  I was so tired!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment