Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Mini Lewiston Adventure

I had a few free hours this afternoon and it was not really hot and humid, so I decided to drive to Lewiston to look around and check out DiCamillo's Bakery (a place my friend Arlene told me about).

On  the way there, I stopped to take pictures of TWO historical societies.
The Town of Lockport  Historical Society and the Cambria Historical Society.  



 They were not open, but now that I have the names and locations, I will find out WHEN they are open so that I can visit.

I continued driving towards Lewiston and  I drove past Hibbards and DiCamillo's and all the way down Main Street to where it ended at a very interesting park along the river.  The park has info. and statues representing the FREEDOM CROSSING MONUMENT.

At the other end there is an interesting eatery THE SILO, which has been featured on MAN VS FOOD.  This is a place I must eat at and SOON.

Then I headed back up Main Street, stopping at DiCamillos where I bought a piece of pizza bread and an Italian Lemon Cookie.  Then I went to HIBBARDS and had a small frozen custard.  One last stop in Lewiston at a small Visitors Center where I picked up a bunch of brochures, etc.  

Closer to home, I noticed an interesting old cemetery, so I did a quick U-Turn and checked it out.

 I am going to try to find out the story behind all of these "flat" grave markers.  A few of them look like the one up above
FINDAGRAVE.COM has this to say:  
Lower Mountain Road
Cambria Center
Niagara County
New York  USA

Cemetery notes and/or description:
Lower Mountain Road (south side of road), about 0.25 miles east of Thrall Road Junction.
I saw another small, old cemetery closer to home, but did not stop (hopefully I will check it out someday soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment