Monday, May 21, 2012

BIBLIOADVENTURE TWO and more: May 21, 2012

I decided to take another batch of old books to the BIBLIOBARN in South Kortright today and I asked Carol M (not to be confused with Carol K) if she wanted to ride along. I met up with her at the library in Oneonta at 9:30 a.m. and we headed out.

On the way there, I noticed two old buildings in Doonans Corners.  This old store
and this old school:  



I did not turn on my navigation system, I tried to rely on my memory of my last drive to S. Kortright, which was a mistake, since I really did not remember well! Anyways, we arrived at the Bibliobarn around 11:00 a.m. 

We quickly went through my books and H.L. found several which he purchased and I donated the rest to the "dime shack". 

Once again H.L. had a few stories to tell including one about how his wife Linda learned to use a pistol after someone broke into their place down south, and when she was attacked, she had an opportunity to use it. He also told about how they were on a vacation driving up to New England to look for a place to relocate and their car broke down in this area, and they fell in love with it and decided to relocate to the S. Kortright area. 

After leaving the Bibliobarn, we drove around and explored a bit.  We went to Sackrider Cemetery (where we ate the lunch I had packed) and then we found another old schoolhouse on Betty Brook Road.    We saw an interesting private residence that appeared to have been an old, small mill.  We were going to go to Stamford to look at the old hotels, but it started to rain, so we decided to head back to Oneonta.  Along the way, we stopped to see this old train depot in Davenport
Center.  
Former Train Depot: Davenport Center, New York by JuneNY
Former Train Depot: Davenport Center, New York, a photo by JuneNY on Flickr.


It was a great day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment