Saturday, June 4, 2011

Richmondville Days: Richmondville, New York

I heard that the annual Richmondville Days was offering free tours of an old mill, so I arranged to go. Terry and Betty accompanied me. We arrived at a bad time, while the parade was still going on, so we got stuck in traffic and sat and waited for about twenty minutes. Then we had a bit of a hard time finding a place to park, and then we could not find the information booth. We asked several people for information and nobody seemed to know anything! But the festivities seemed to revolve around this area:

We finally just hopped on a free trolley
and it took us up to the BUNN MILL,
which is also the Richmondville Historical Society. We spent about a half an hour walking around inside the mill and looking at the displays. Some items are remnants from the mill, but there are several other items on display. I purchased A HISTORY OF SCHOHARIE COUNTY (hard cover for only two dollars). When we finished up, the trolley was returning. We hopped on and took a ride around town. We went to a rummage sale at one of the churches on Main Street. Unfortunately, the pies were all sold out at another church right across the street. Betty was really disappointed when we found that out! But at this church:
we hit the jackpot. When we arrived at their rummage sale, we were told to fill up a bag for $2.00. Terry, Betty and I filled up one bag between us. I got a beautiful hand crocheted afghan that goes SO well with my living room furniture, and some antique glassware!

There was not much in the line of food available so we decided to take Route 7 into Worcester and see if Ardy's was open. On the way we stopped at a yard sale. I bought a tin and a hobnail glass dish. We had a nice lunch including desert (the peach raspberry crumble with ice cream was delicious). Then we went to a large yard sale just down the road. We stopped for a few minutes at THE STOREHOUSE, a used clothing shop which recently moved from East Worcester. I noticed that a new hardware store opened up across from the WHITE HOUSE INN and stepped inside for a look. It appears that they are using some of the old cabinets from the old store which closed down several years ago. I noticed a quilt display in the front windows of the Worcester Historical Society.

On the way back to Oneonta, Betty noticed an old cemetery. I turned around and she and I explored it. I particularly liked how the tree is growing around this gate leading to a family plot.
(and I hid a geocache there) while Terry picked some wild flowers.
After that it was time to go home. Betty tried to get me to stop at more yard sales, but I told her I was worn out and needed to get home. It was a great day!

Postscript: I used the OTSEGO COUNTY CEMETERIES MAP and found that the name of the old cemetery is SPENCER CEMETERY.

It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment