Friday, June 17, 2011

GREAT RACE and GEOCACHING Adventure

Luckless and I met up at her house this morning to go geocaching, kind of a little
late birthday celebration for her birthday. Leslie if you see this: I am sorry I
forgot about our plans on your actual birthday!! I had tucked the newspaper ad for the old cars driving through Cooperstown today in my bag, thinking maybe she might be interested in seeing them, and I was happy when she brought up the idea! I didn't know that she likes old cars, too, but she does!

Anyways, we started out in Wilber Park in Milford. The Duckies have a 5 part multi cache hidden there. There was a man doing some serious cleaning out and knocking down of bushes and trees quite close to the spot where we figured part one was, so we moved on without looking.

Then we headed towards Cooperstown to look for one of Mr. Sciences geocaches. This one was easily found. We started to look for another one of his geocaches which was pretty closeby, but we could not find a way to get to it, so we headed up to Cooperstown. SILLY ME, I thought we might be able to park on Main Street, but it was closed off. Leslie offered to drop me off on the corner of Main and Chestnut while she found a parking spot down the road. We met up shortly and pretty soon the cars started driving in. Here are a few pictures:


We met up with Bear, a geocaching friend and asked him to join us for lunch. The Cooperstown Diner was full, so we went to T.J.'s just down the street. We were able to get a table with a view of the street. I had a burger and fries and Leslie and
Joe had hot dogs. It was a cheap, good meal. The fries were better than I remember them being.

After that, we found another of Mr. Science's geocaches near STEWART'S. And then we returned to his other WELCOME cache. This time we used the coords for the parking area, although I am not sure we actually parked in it. Leslie located the trail rather quickly. There is no easy access to it. I found an easier route, which meant I had to walk on private property........maybe Mr. Science lives there!
Anyways, Leslie found that one pretty quickly. Here are a few pictures from that area.


We decided to stop so I could look for SUSQUEHANNA RIVER BRIDGE cache, but I could not find it, even though Leslie had previously found it and knew the location. Later on we found out that the container had been changed, so possibly the coords and location were changed a bit, too...........?

Back to the park in Milford, we found part one of the five part multi. It was wedged
under a narrow piece of bark that seems to have been CEMENTED IN. First, I tried to pry it up with a knife, but then we realized that with tweezers (which I just happened to have in my hip pack), we could pull the tiny, skinny rolled up log out. The log gave us the coords for the second part.

Time was running out so we didn't stick around to look for part two, but we will do that another time. It turned out to be a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment