Friday, May 8, 2015

Salt Spring ADVENTURE (May 8, 2015)

Chickie and I met up at her house at 9:30 a.m. and headed to Barker for some geocaching.  Our first stop was at a cemetery on Hosmer Road.  This one was quick and easy.  Then we found one at THE BABCOCK HOUSE.

I should say that I found it.  After I located it, I let Chick find it, but she needed a LOT of hints!  Then it was just down the road to SAWYER CEMETERY where Chickie found another easy one.  We explored that old cemetery a bit and did not see any Sawyers buried there. 
Then we located the SALT SPRING trail, where a geocache is hidden.
I knew the geocache was difficult, so we skipped it and hiked to the Salt Spring.  We had a bit of difficulty finding it since the white trail markers stopped when the trail split into two part.  We chose the wrong part first, so we backtracked and tried the other way.  We had to cross a bridge that really needs some work, it was kind of treacherous but we got to the Salt Spring.
The three hundred year old spring has not been active for a long time unfortunately, but the tree stump remains.  
Next we located the small park on Lake Ontario where BARKERVILLE is hidden.  Chickie found this one pretty easily.

Then we decided it was time for lunch.  I thought we might find someplace to eat in Barker.  The Niagara County map was kind of vague about where the village of Barker was.  

As we were looking for a way to get to the village we saw this place.  
Sandy's Country Kitchen.  We checked it out and it looked pretty good so we decided to eat there.  I ordered a BLT and Chickie ordered a bowl of clam chowder.  While we were waiting for our food to come Chickie asked me where the next cache might be.  I went out to the car to get the info. and ran into my cousin Becky who was just arriving.  She joined us and ordered baked fish.  Chickie and I were very pleased with this diner, our total bill for the two of us came to less than eight dollars.  

We had one more geocache to find PORCUPINE which was in a wooded area behind the Barker Town Hall.  Chick found this one quickly.  Then we headed back to Lockport.  I dropped Chickie off and went to OFFICE MAX to pick up my computer where I had left it for a check up.

A couple hours later, I joined Peggy and Bev for supper to celebrate Bevs birthday at CALAMATAs.

No comments:

Post a Comment