Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Montezuma/Seneca Falls Adventure Day One May 20. 2015

I left Lockport around 8:30 a.m. and headed up 78 towards the thruway.  I made a quick stop at PAULA'S DONUTS
in Clarence, New York and picked up four donuts.  I arrived in Seneca Falls around 11:30 a.m. and checked into our room ( and also checked it out ).  I called Leslie who was still on the road and we agreed to meet at the MONTEZUMA NATIONAL WILDLIFE PRESERVE Visitor Center.  I took a few minutes to take a shower before leaving, because of the water problem in my neighborhood in Lockport.

We met up at the Visitors Center
(arriving about two minute apart) and looked around before having lunch (Brooks Chicken).  Then we headed out in my car to drive a birdwatching loop.  We saw several birds.  I used my binoculars, but am not as skilled with them as Leslie is.

According to Leslie, who had a checklist, these are the  birds we saw: 
25 species:
 List of birds seen at Montezuma -25 species
Canada goose
Mallard
Wood duck (female)
Blue-winged teal (male and female) This was the duck where the male had a the
white crescent on its face.
Swan-  distant-  seen on opposite side of lake
Pied-billed grebe
Great blue heron
Turkey vulture
Osprey
Eagle
Common moorhen
Solitary sandpiper
Caspian Tern
Hummingbird
Starling
Red-winged blackbird
Grackle
Brown-headed cowbird
Goldfinch
Red-headed woodpecker
Crow
Northern rough-winged swallow
Purple martin
Barn swallow
Robin
However, I actually did not see a few of them because Leslie spotted them and I could not zero in with my binoculars. 


Then we did a couple of hours of geocaching.  One of them took us to the canal and locks;
where we saw this Blue Heron, but we did not find the geocache!  I think I programmed the coordinates in wrong.  
I think we found five before we headed back into Seneca Falls to our lodging.

The cache we found here was my favorite because of this old empty building. 
After going to the Visitors Center and getting Leslie's car, we went to our lodging and got settled in and then went out and found one more which was on private property and involved pulling it down from a tree with ropes.  Neither of us was very hungry, but we went to a BURGER KING for drinks and I got a Big Mac Jr.

Back to MICROTEL and shortly to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment