Friday, October 12, 2012

Willy's Corn Maze Adventure


My friend Terry wanted to go to a corn maze, so when I found out that Willy's near Westford has one, I set up a time to go with her. On the way to meet her, I stopped at a new restaurant in Oneonta, HUMPHREY'S, which is having a "soft opening" this week with inexpensive small servings of their main dishes, sandwiches and sides.  I had lasagna and roasted corn pepper salad, which was pretty good.


Terry and I met up at Price Chopper and headed out 88. The weather changed several times while we were driving there, and was not very nice when we arrived.  We browsed the gift shop, I bought some cider and a tiny pumpkin and the weather cleared up so we decided to go for it.  Indeed, it was warmer inside the maze, since we were protected from the wind.

After walking several yards, we came to a fork in the corn, and I told Terry to go left while I went right, and that I thought we would meet up soon. I was wrong. I finished the corn maze and she was nowhere to be seen. Hollering for her did not seem to work and I was just about to go down to the barn and tell the owners that I needed help finding my lost friend, when she showed up. She said she had not been able to find her way out, so she had to turn around and come back. Anyways, I was relieved that she was safe and sound!!!!!

I suggested we go to the Westford General Store, an l854 store that I have not been to in a few years. Once there, we decided to have a cup of hot chocolate, which we enjoyed while sharing the Oneonta Daily Star. I found the section of senior citizens activities and teased Terry about activities she and I can do there! She was not very impressed!!! The worker at the store told us about some of the vintage and antique items that are on display. We enjoyed looking at them.

We took the back roads to Worcester and looked for a geocache in the cemetery behind the Catholic Church.  Ground zero was in a spot where there was no possibility of a hiding spot.  I ran into El Fartero, and we chatted a bit, and then Terry and I had to leave to get to our supper engagement on time.  As I was leaving, El Fartero came up to my car and showed me the cache which he had found.  I told him I would return another time, probably with Luckless.

Our last stop of the day was at the Elm Park Methodist Church where we had a harvest dinner.Harvest (Turkey) Dinner by JuneNY  Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, coleslaw and winter squash, and pie for desert.  It was delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment