Thursday, October 4, 2012

Columbus, old hotel and Norwich Adventure


Farmers Market in Morris, NY, a photo by JuneNY on Flickr.
Carol and I met up in New Berlin and drove togther to the Community Church in Columbus, New York for their annual Harvest Dinner (I think they have been doing this for over 80 years). It was a wonderful meal, even though Carol got a piece of roast beef stuck behind her tonsils and I got the hiccups so bad that I had to go outside in the middle of the meal. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, squash, all sorts of salads, rolls or quick bread and desert. Carol purchased a take out meal for her husband, Phil.  After the dinner, I asked Carol what she wanted to do. She didn't have any firm ideas, but I suggested she take the take home meal to her house and refrigerate it for her husbands supper.


On the way there, we noticed that the front door of the Columbia Hotel was open. This bar, restaurant, hotel has been empty for about fifteen years I think. I suggested to Carol that she might go up and ask if we could go inside and check it out. Instead, she went up and asked the people working on it if it was open for business. We were told that their son had purchased it and that it might open up in a few years as possibly a B and B.

I have always wanted to see the inside of this place, so I asked if I could, and I was told "OK, but be careful". I checked out both the upstairs and the downstairs. The best part was the murals painted on the front and back wall of a large open room upstairs. The woman who took me upstairs said that civil war soldiers used to meet up there to discuss strategy.

We took Phil's supper home to him and dropped it off and headed to Norwich.  I wanted to see Carol' s former daughter in laws new shop THE ARTISTS PALETTE.  After stopping there, we went to several shops, including this great consignment shop, which I hope to return to.
.  .   The old clock on Main Street which will be repaired soon.  This old theatre will probably be closed down soon.   When we were done in Norwich, Carol showed me how to get to Pokeville, which was just a few minutes away.  I wanted to check out the old store there.

I dropped Carol off at her car in South New Berlin and headed for home.  I stopped to take a few color pictures, and here is one:   One last stop was at the Morris Farmers Market, where I purchased two cookies and saw this:  It was another one of those wonderful but exhausting days.  I was in bed by 9:30 and asleep a few minutes later.  I

No comments:

Post a Comment