Monday, March 28, 2011

Taking the long way......

I had a medical appointment in Cooperstown in the middle of the day, and it turned out to be a nice day, so I left a couple of hours early and took some back roads instead of the usual direct root.

When I got to Mt. Vision, instead of turning left and going through the village, I kept going straight.........I ended up driving by Arnold Lake.........I could not find a place to pull in so that I could take a picture of the lake, so I only got pictures of two signs. After I went around the lake, I came upon a very old, very small cemetery LIPPITT CEMETERY. I got out and took a few pictures,
and the continued on my way.

I went through TODDSVILLE, and stopped to take a picture of the church, but I didn't see anything else very interesting there.

I arrived in Cooperstown with time to spare, so I looked for the old Delaware and Hudson Train Station and found it. It is a private residence now, with a long driveway. I walked partway up the driveway and took a couple of pictures.

After that, I went to New York Pizza and used a BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE coupon. I found a parking spot and ate a couple of pieces of pizza, then went to the bakery and bought some day old donut holes for desert. Then I went to the INN AT COOPERSTOWN. I inquired about the price of rooms and the woman working there showed me a couple. The prices are way to high to even consider ever staying there.

Then it was time to go to Bassett. Since I had a bit of extra time, I parked in the back parking lot and walked on the trail to the old stone bridge. This was my third time there (at least), but the first time I had my camera with me. I took several pictures. Here is one:



My medical appointment went very well, and then I headed home. I drove the back route through Hartwick and located the Hartwick Historical Society which is behind the library. I took a picture of the hours the library is open and a phone call later on confirmed that the historical society is open when the library is open.

Then instead of taking 205 all the way, I drove through South Hartwick, stopping to take a few pictures of an old cemetery that Leslie and I saw in February when we were exploring after seeing the old store.

Then I figured out how to get back to 205 and came home.

No comments:

Post a Comment