Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mini Oneonta History Adventure with Dad

My Dad is visiting for a day or so. I suggested that we go to the Oneonta History Center and he seemed to like that idea. This is a picture of the History Center. It's on Main Street. More recently, a jewelry store was in this storefront. Before that it was a candy and ice cream shop named LASKARIS.

We spent about forty tive minutes in the History Center. Dad talked with the man running it today. His father fought in WW2 and so did Dad, so they shared memories. I bought a couple of postcards of the old Oneonta Hotel which is right across the street from the History Center. Here is the postcard,
and here is how the building looks today.



I showed Dad what is left of Bresee's both in the front and back, and we also went into the sporting goods store. Then we went into a bookstore, where Dad found a book he liked HOW TO DRAW WHAT YOU SEE. He did not buy it, though, he is going to see if he can get it at the library. I think maybe I will see if my library system has it, too.

I showed Dad the Masonic Temple (he had been interested in the toy car that the little rich boy who grew up there got for Christmas) and the old train station at the end of Market Street. Then we headed back home, where he promptly took a nap.

My complete set of pictures for this outing can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/sets/72157626276266120/

I used the picture of Dad in the History Center for my Project 365 daily picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment