Sunday, March 20, 2011

Saturday Afternoon Geocaching Adventure

Leslie and I were both free yesterday afternoon, so we decided
to do a few local geocaches. I picked her up around 12:30 and we headed out.

Our first geocache was STUCK IN THE MIDDLE, which was a quick and easy one..........a magnetic key case stuck on the back of a sign somewhere over near the "small reservoir". After quickly finding that one we checked out the Ducky's Reservoir Cache. We knew it had been disabled due to snow, but so much snow had melted that we thought we might be able to find it. That cache is on a bridge somewhere in the same area of the previous cache, so we located the bridge and looked for a few minutes, but the lower parts of the sides of the bridge have those hard, blackened snow piles around them and, the hint said something about it being "almost underfoot" so we doubted if it was accessible and we moved on. Our next geocache was Stealers Wheels and we needed to take the road towards the SUCO college camp to get to it. A previous finder had warned that the road needs all wheel drive, so it was a good thing we had my Subaru. It didn't turn out to be as bad as I thought it might be, just a lot of ruts to try to avoid. We found this one quickly and easily, too.

Our next stop was so I could find PETITE CALLIOU, which was hidden right near the small reservoir.

Luckless had already found this. It took me quite a while to find this one and it was a definite surprise when I did find it.

We took a "chocolate milkshake break" at Arby's on the way over to Riddell Park where we planned to find a few DOG WALK geocaches. However, once we arrived, we realized that much of the trail was ice covered. We found the closest one to the entrance (DOG WALK 1). I should say Leslie found it. I was busy looking for an easier way to get down to it while she took the hard way and she found it quickly. Its a really big one with lots of stash. I took a couple of small items and left a couple of larger items. Here is a picture I took of the area near the site of the hide. Leslie saw a bird and was taking a picture of it with her new camera.

We debated whether or not to head over to Unadilla and find HOMETOWN ANGEL. Since I had a corned beef and cabbage in the crockpot and needed to stop and get some carrots, I suggested we put that off for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment