Friday, March 18, 2011

Judy's Birthday Adventure

Judy and I agreed to meet at her place so we could go out to lunch and do some exploring to celebrate her 61st birthday which was a few days ago.

After Judy did a couple of errands, we had lunch at Ardy's in Worcester. As usual, we were not disappointed.

Then we set off to do some exploring. I had never been to the hamlet of South Worcester and I knew of some historical buildings there. So, we headed down County Road 39, and eventually we found Route 40. It seemed like we drove forever until we found East Worcester. We never saw a sign, but a couple of the buildings matched the pictures I had, so I knew we were there. We drove through South Worcester, then through Simpsonville, and then in the Fergusonville area, we stopped to see Buttermilk Falls. It was beautiful today:
Then I turned back and drove back towards South Worcester. I stopped in Simpsonville to take a couple of pictures of the old cemetery where I have a geocache hidden. The ground just before the area of the hide was pretty squishy, so I didn't check on it.

Once we got back to South Worcester, I gave Judy the book LANDMARKS OF OTSEGO COUNTY and asked her to look for the buildings. We located the church, the old general store, the cabinet shop and the doctors office, and also saw the Charlotte Valley Inn. I took pictures of all of these. Here is the cabinet shop:

On the way back to Worcester, we found the one room schoolhouse that the woman at the Worcester Historical Society told me about. It is so cute. Here it is: As I was getting back into the car after taking a couple of pictures, Judy asked me if that was a cemetery across the street. The snowpiles along the road made it a bit hard to see, but I was able to get one picture.

Our last stop was at Preston's Alpaca Farm. I drove in and we saw the alpacas, but did not stay long.


It turned out to be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment