Saturday, May 8, 2010

Montgomery County Adventure




Early this morning, Linda and I set out for Auriesville, New York. She wanted to attend mass there. I had planned to walk around the shrine and take pictures while she was at mass, but it was raining, so I sat through the mass. The choir sang so beautifully, they sounded like angels! The second picture from the top is of the huge round chapel where they hold services and performances.

By the time the mass ended, the rain had stopped and the sky had cleared up. We did walk around for a few minutes, but it was lunchtime and both of us were getting hungry. We decided to drive to the Glen Store for lunch. I had seen pictures of this old country store on flickr. I accidentally gave Linda the wrong directions and we ended up in the Village of Fultonville instead of the hamlet of Glen in the TOWN of Fultonville. But no matter, I had a geocache programmed into my GPS and we stopped to find it. It was a quick and easy one.

Linda found our way back to the Glen Store. I had seem pictures of this place on flickr and decided it was a "must see". The real thing did NOT disappoint. You can see more pictures of the store here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/sets/72157623895691899/ It is a wonderful place. You can just imagine people sitting around the old pot bellied stove in the middle of the store a long time ago. I forgot to take pictures of the dining area which is on the left hand side of the pot belied stove. They provide lots of reading materials for customers, too. Linda and I both had the hot meatball sandwiches and iced tea for lunch.

Linda asked me if I wanted to go back to the Shrine of our Lady of Martyrs. I suggested that we return on a day when it is not wet, and after she has her hip surgery, so that walking is easier for her. I told her that what I really wanted to do was head back to I-88, but take our time and stop at places that look interesting. She agreed to that plan. I had seen several places that looked interesting on the way to the shrine and I was hoping to stop on the way back.
We passed one old cemetery, but it was on the wrong side of the road, so I told Linda to keep driving.

When we saw a sign for the CHARLESTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY, we took the road where the arrow was pointing. We ended up at an old church. The signs declared that it had been turned into the historical society. (see the third picture from the top for the picture of the old church which has been transformed into the historical society). There were a few cars around and the doors were opened, so we ventured in. We found out that the historical society was not really opened (it opens later on this month) and that they had just completed a presentation. We were invited in to look around and we were even offered refreshments which were abundant and home baked. Soooooooo, we did look around and I took pictures and we had some refreshments. Linda also bought two plants, one for each of us. Before leaving, we checked out the cemetery in the church yard, and we saw one stone for a Revolutionary War soldier.

Our next stop was when I noticed a very small cemetery along side the road. It almost appeared to be on the property of a trailer next door. It turned out to be the Davis Cemetery. A picture of the sign for the DAVIS CEMETERY is way up at the top. Most or all of the grave markers had the name DAVIS on them. I took a few pictures and we moved on.

That was our last stop. One problem is that Linda drives TOO darn fast! We passed a few more interesting spots, but it had started to rain, so I didn't ask her to turn around.

Now I want to go back to Fultonville to explore, back to the shrine to walk the entire grounds and also there is a natural spring located somewhere in the area that I would like to find. Lots of ideas for future day trips!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment