Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Four Hour Adventure with Terry May 5, 2010




When we realized that it was a beautiful day and we both had the afternoon free, Terry and I decided to go to the FrogPond and out to lunch. I asked her if she wanted to do some geocaching and she said yes.

We met up in Unadilla at 12:30 p.m. and headed to Bainbridge. We checked out the Olde Jericho Inn, but decided to have lunch at the S & S Cafe instead. We both had the pulled pork sandwich. We were a bit disappointed because it was somewhat dry.
A picture of the cafe is at the top.

As we were walking back to my car, Terry noticed a sign for an art show. We decided to check it out. The artwork was outstanding, but the best part was that the gallery is located in an old theatre in the Bainbridge town hall building.

Next stop was the Mennonite Store. I bought a few items.

Then on to THE FROGPOND, which did not disappoint. The prices were really good on most items. I spent eleven dollars and got an incredible amount of fresh vegetables and fruits.

Upon leaving The FrogPond, I fired up my GPS and gave it to Terry. She guided us
to the location of the cache, which is a wetland area near the school. We put on our boots and set out. Its a good thing we had the boots, there were a lot of wet and squishy spots. Terry found part one of the geocache. We opened it and there was a puzzle to solve. It was really hot and we decided we were too lazy to do the puzzle, so we trekked back to my van and took off.

On the way to Bainbridge, Terry had mentioned that we were not far from the East Guilford Cemetery where her husband is buried. We had plenty of time, so I suggested she show me where it is. Indeed, it was only a couple of miles away from
Route 7. Its a very small, but nice cemetery.

We headed back to Route 7 and towards Oneonta. I noticed what looked like an old abandoned grocery store so I suggested we stop and check it out the ALL AMERICAN PRODUCE GROCERY STORE. I guess it has a Sidney address, but there was a sign saying RIVERSIDE close by, so perhaps Riverside is a village or hamlet of Sidney. In a more recent life,this store was a flea market. Both the grocery store signs and the flea market signs remain, and I took a lot of pictures. Some of the flea market items are still sitting outside, in a partially enclosed area along the side and back. The third and fourth pictures up above are of the abandoned grocery store.

Terry suggested we stop for ice cream. We passed the first ice cream stand and ended up at THE BIG TOP (second picture from the top) I think we were still in Sidney. We both had waffle bowl sundaes and they just hit the spot. While eating our ice cream, we noticed a cute shop next door, which I took a picture of. We did not go in, but will save that for another time...... during another trip to Bainbridge.

We got back to Terry's car in Unadilla around 4:15 or so. We really packed a lot into a little less than four hours.

1 comment: