Friday, May 14, 2010

Cabin Fever Adventure!




Burlington, New York
Originally uploaded by JuneNY
My friend Connie and I had an outing planned for this afternoon.
A few minutes before we were planning to leave, she called and
said she was sick and could not make it. It was a gorgeous day and I had that "all dressed up and no place to go" feeling. Also, I had a touch of "cabin fever" and really felt I needed some fresh air and exercise.

So, I decided to take off on my own. I needed to check on a geocache that had been reported missing in Morris. So, I figured I would go do that, take a walk, and have my camera handy.


So, my first stop was the huge cemetery in Morris. I found the spot where I hid the cache a couple of years and indeed, it was missing. The tree stump I had hidden it in had deteriorated considerably over the winter, and most likely the cache was showing and someone found it and took it. Someone now has a very nice collection of buttons. I had a very tiny geocache all ready to go, so I replaced it, but in a different spot a few feet away from the where the original one was.

Then I headed towards Garratsville to check on the cache called CEMETERY WITHOUT A NAME. Just as I arrived, I saw artclasmodl leaving. I called out to her and we chatted for a few minutes. She had just found the cache and she said it was in fine shape. I stayed and took a few pictures of the cemetery, one of which is posted up at the top of todays blog entry.

I decided to continue on to Garrattsville to take a picture of the general store to add to my flickr group "THE GENERAL STORE". Once I got there, I realized I had plenty of time, so I decided to just continue driving straight to see what I might find that.

A few miles later, I found a very nice cemetery THE BUTTERNUT VALLEY CEMETERY. I decided to see if I could find a spot to hide a geocache. I did indeed find a nice spot, I hid it and took a few pictures. While in the cemetery I noticed a "ghost sign" on the back of a building right next to the cemetery. I took a picture. As I left, I checked out the building and it is a one story, two car garage. I have no idea why the sign (which looks rather new) is on the back of this garage.

I kept driving and ended up at a four corners which I think is Burlington or Burlington Flats. I took a picture of the Baptist Church and an old abandoned building and then headed back the way I came. I noticed a sign on a farm outbuilding saying STARVATION PLANTATION, which I thought was pretty cute, so I stopped and took a picture. The picture way at the top is Starvation Plantation.

After that I headed on home. I was glad to have a couple of hours in the sunshine and fresh air. My set on flickr for today can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/sets/72157623937735479/

No comments:

Post a Comment