Saturday, May 15, 2010

Airport/Pleasant Brook/Cherry Valley/Jordanville/CooperstownADVENTURE!!!!


I read in the local Pennysaver that there was an "Old Airplane Fly-In" today. I decided that the idea of seeing some old planes sounded pretty good. I asked Carol M. if she was interested and she said she was. We met up at her apartment in Oneonta at ten a.m. today.


We headed out to the airport. (Someone at the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce had given my directions over the phone the day before) When we got to the airport, we found out that the fly in had been cancelled due to the wind. Many people were at the airport, they seemed to be there for the pancake breakfast. Carol and I stuck around for about ten minutes and I took some pictures. The picture of the yellow plane up above was taken at the small airport.

On the way over to Cherry Valley, I stopped in Roseboom so Carol could see Bob's General Store. I bought a few postcards. We had seen a sign for a Maple Sugar House, so I asked for directions and was told how to get there from the store.

We missed the turnoff for the Maple Sugar House and ended up in an adorable hamlet known as Pleasant Brook. I took a bunch of pictures. We talked with a man who has spent a large portion of his life in Pleasant Brook and he told us about some of the buildings. We went to the Pleasant Brook Hotel and had lunch. Here is a picture of this neat old hotel:
It was the best quesadilla I have ever had! The bill for the two of us was only $5.50. The lady working the bar got permission from the owner for me to take some pictures. They still rent out rooms upstairs for $25.00 a night. The bartender did not seem to want me to go upstairs to look around, so I didn't.

After leaving Pleasant Brook, we located the Maple Sugar House, but it was closed.

Then we continued on over to Cherry Valley to see the Lilac Farm at the Hops House. We looked in the greenhouse and walked around the lilac bushes and I took some pictures.

After the lilacs, I found a parking spot in the downtown area. We went to an art gallery, Rury's Food Store, A ROSE IS A ROSE (flower shop) and I took a lot of pictures. Of special interest was the Civil War Memorial and NBT bank which is in an interesting old building.

We drove around Cherry Valley a bit and then we decided to take a different route back home. We ended up on Route 20 heading west. Soon, I recognized Route 31 which I knew was the way to get to the Amish area in or near Van Hornesville. We made a quick right and soon located the Amish run tack shop which I had been to before with Carol K. However, we decided to just continue driving to see what we might find.


We ended up in an interesting hamlet known as Salt Springfield. We saw an old empty
automotive shop, an old church and a restored barn that is used for community events. Here is a picture of the old abandoned shop.
We explored a bit and took pictures and then headed back up Rt. 31. We stopped at the tack shop. It was open and a young man was running it, with his tiny daughter by his side. We looked around and I bought some raisin clusters.

On the way back up to Rt 31 from the tack shop, we saw a sign for a shop called COUNTRY SELECTIONS. We located it and went in. It was in an Amish farm and they sell bulk food, non bulk food and all sorts of notions. A teenage Amish girl was running the store while we were there. I purchased a handmade bead necklace and some baking powder. I took several pictures of the farm. The farm is just beautiful and so meticulously taken care of. I think I may have visited this shop with Peggy several years ago.

After COUNTRY SELECTIONS, we headed back home, driving along the east side of Otsego Lake. I stopped in Cooperstown to show Carol the Indian Mound. Then back to Oneonta. As we approached Oneonta, Carol jokingly said she was starting to feel a little depressed at being back home.

It was a great day! My set of pictures are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/sets/72157624068829366/

No comments:

Post a Comment