Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mini Geocaching Adventure

April14_2011Geocaching 002 by JuneNY
April14_2011Geocaching 002, a photo by JuneNY on Flickr.

Leslie and I met up at my house this morning.
I packed sandwiches for lunch and we took off. We headed to the Milford State Forest to look for a geocache that had eluded us a while back due to there being so much snow. We found THE BEEHIVE rather quickly and easily and then headed towards Arnold Lake to find HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNEAGLEEAGLE. We found this geocache rather quickly and easily, also. I took this picture at that cache site. The next geocache was found in a rock wall at the edge of Arnold Lake...........this one was called DAMP DUCKY'S CACHE. We had a bit of trouble with this one because it was hidden in a spot which we felt sure was on private property. Eventually, Leslie pointed out a spot where she thought it was, but she was hesitant to go after it. Anyways, it was there and we found it.

Here is a picture of Camp America, which appears to be a lodge, it is right on Arnold Lake.
I need to return when the blue tarps have been taken down.

We decided to do one more geocache: I've Lost My Head. On the way we stopped so Leslie could do some birdwatching. If she sees an interesting bird, she brakes and pulls over. Here is a picture taken at that spot.
We stopped for a couple of minutes and then headed on towards the next geocache. On the way there, I saw that we were approaching Lippitt Cemetery, which I had discovered on my way to Cooperstown a few weeks ago. I asked Leslie if we could stop there so I could hide a geocache. She pulled over and we looked around and found a good spot, and I hid my geocache. Then we headed out and when I turned on my GPS, it pointed back to the cemetery. I told Leslie that we had just left the area of I've Lost My Head and that I would probably have to retrieve my geocache. We returned and found the geocache, it is way too close to my hiding spot, so I went and got it. We had a bit of a laugh about this escapade. I knew it was a good spot! Actually, I just checked geocaching.com and the geocache was already hidden there the first time I went to the cemetery. It was placed there the day before! Here are a couple of pictures I took at the LIPPITT CEMETERY.
Apparently, someone put flags on these markers because they mark graves of men who served in a war. As you can see, one is so old that the name and information is not decipherable, and the other is a newer stone, which may have replaced an old one.

No comments:

Post a Comment