Monday, April 11, 2011

BOUDREAU'S and GEOCACHING ADVENTURE

Carol suggested we go geocaching this morning. I suggested we combine geocaching with a drive to Laurens to have breakfast at Boudreau's. I had heard about this tiny restaurant over the years and wanted to go for quite a while now. Carol agreed to my idea. She picked me up at 8:45 and we headed over to Laurens. Here is a picture of the outside of Boudreau's.

There were only a couple of customers there and a lone elderly man was running things by himself. He handed me a pad of paper and a pencil and pointed to the menu on a blackboard and told me to write down what we want and bring it back to him saying "I am too lazy to come and get it." We looked over the menu
and ordered scrambled eggs, toast, bacon and home fries. We took a seat at a table in the back and looked around. I asked the owner if I could take pictures and he said that would be fine.

This small restaurant is just the cutest place, and so old fashioned. Here are a few pictures I took inside. The highlight is the old wood burning stove,
but there are other interesting things to see.

Our meal took quite a while to reach us, I think he made the home fried potatoes from scratch. The meal was absolutely delicious. When I went up to ask for ketchup, he pointed to the refrigerator and told me I could get it out myself!!!

The owner said that they have had the same menu for 32 years. He said before that, the front half of the building was a tiny store with two gas pumps outside.

After breakfast (and we were both full to the brim), we headed into Oneonta for a morning of geocaching. The first geocache we found is at ONEONTA'S AREA 51, and I think the name is perfect! It is a bit of a mysterious area, around where the old roundhouse used to be. We saw this concrete structure and wondered what it was:

Then we went find one of the DUCKY DEAD END caches hidden on the end of River Street. This one was fun and interesting. After that, we found BASEBALL LEGENDS at a Little League field near River Street. I had looked for this one last winter without success. The final one was WHERE ARE THE WATER LILIES, in a tiny park at Hartwick College.

By that time we needed a drink and a bathroom and more gas, so we went to the large HESS on Main Street. We talked briefly about doing a couple more geocaches in Oneonta, but decided against that. We then talked about the possibility of going to Morris and finding SCOUT IT OUT, a cache we looked for in the winter but could not find. In the end, we decided to end the day before the predicted thunderstorms came.

It was a great day!

2 comments:

  1. June,

    If you liked this place in Laurens, you have to go to the country store in Bovina Center. It is run by the historical society and open breakfast and lunch hours. They do a little bit of cooking. It is a truly neat, out of the way, place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Mike, I will plan a trip there soon!.

    ReplyDelete