Monday, June 7, 2010

Route 7 Adventure!



I spent a good portion of the day with my friend Judy. We drove on Route 7 between Schenevus and Cobleskill. I had never been on most of that road, but Judy grew up in the area, and she was able to tell me a lot about the places we passed and stopped at.


First we had lunch in Worcester at Ardy's. We had grilled burgers and fries. I took some pictures of some old posters they have up. I think some might be originals, but most are probably reproductions. Also, I saw and liked that clock which I took a picture of, which is up at the top.

We headed out towards East Worcester. Judy showed me the second hand shop that she likes so much. I noticed it had a sign on it indicating that groceries used to be sold there. Also, right across the street was a vacant store, with the sign with the name still on it. I took pictures, of course.

We kept on heading northeast. Before we got to Richmondville, I saw some abandoned buildings on the right hand side of the road. It appears that there were three separate businesses there. One was appliances, one dealt in propane and I don't know about the third.

We headed on towards Warnersville, but I didn't stop. I kept going until we got to Cobleskill. We turned around there and headed back. The second time, I stopped in Warnersville when I noticed a building that appeared to have been a store in its past life. The owners daughter was doing yard work and I spoke to her briefly and she told me that it indeed had been a store. Years ago, it was a general store housing the post office. Then her father had a gun shop in it, which closed about a year ago. I took several pictures of the store and then moved on to the church across the street, and then to the abandoned buildings of a business that moved to another location.

When we got to Richmondville, I stopped to take pictures of a historical marker, the post office, a ghost sign, an empty supermarket and a few other buildings. Judy said she was getting tired, so we decided to head back to her place. I made a brief turn in East Worcester on Depot Street, to see if the train depot was still standing. We could not find it. On the way back up Depot Street, Judy pointed out the building that used to be a feed store. I did not stop to take a picture since Judy was getting pretty tired. The picture way at the top is of the empty supermarket on Main Street.

We continued on through Worcester, Schenevus and then to Elk Creek. As we went through Elk Creek, I asked Judy if it used to have more. She pointed out the private residence that used to be a general store (I never would have guessed), and the vacant lot that used to have a post office on it.

I dropped Judy off at her place in Westford and after visiting for a few minutes, I headed out. I stopped in Schenevus at a fishing access area to find a geocache called SEWARD FISHING. It was quick and easy. Then I headed towards home.

It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment