Monday, February 1, 2010

October 5, 2007 Trip to Saugerties, New York


While going through old pictures today, I was reminded of a past day trip.

My friend Judy and I wanted to take a ride into the Catskills to see the fall colors. I thought this day was our best opportunity to do that. I chose Saugerties as our destination and went to work online to see if there were any neat places to eat there. I found information about Miss Lucy's Kitchen, a popular restaurant in that town.

I picked Judy up in the morning and we headed east towards Saugerties, going through Grand Gorge. Along the way we stopped at a stand that offered "fresh home grown garlic". Judy bought a garlic holder and we both bought a bag of onions. (a few days later, I found out that most of the onions were rotten in the middle). We stopped at St. John the Baptist Ukranian Catholic Church near Hunter, New York to stretch our legs(picture is on the top left). The church is beautiful and we both took a few pictures. We continued heading east and along the way, we stopped in a small gift shop where interesting food items were sold. I purchased some flavored honey.

We finally made it to Saugerties and to Miss Lucy's where we had lunch. It has a nice atmosphere and we had apple pancakes for lunch. After that we went to a candy store (I think it was Krause's Chocolates) where we each purchased some chocolates.

We took a different route (Route 28) home. We stopped at a huge gift shop attached to the Kaatskill Kaleidoscope in Mt. Tremper, New York. (picture is on the right at the top) We decided that the color along Route 28 was really better than along our other route.
I think Judy and I started a fall tradition that day!
Note: I could not seem to get my pictures sized right so that they could be downloaded. The two pictures up above are from websites about those attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment