Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Little Falls and Inlet NY trip October 2008




Mary and I wanted to have an "adventure" together. We set aside the weekend of October 18th and 19th. I met her Saturday morning in Oneonta . We filled up her gas tank and took off.

First stop: Little Falls where I dropped off a vacuum cleaner for repairs. Then we went on to Moss Island to look for a geocache. We saw some current locks, some ruins of old locks, huge rock formations and found a geocache. But what interested me the most were the eerie ruins of some huge old building or buildings that we saw on the other side of the highway when we were looking for the geocache. There actually was one small abandoned building associated with the geocache, but it was kind of boring compared to what we saw across the road. Mary is not interested in urban explorations, so I had to shelf that idea for the future. A picture of that potentiol urban exploration site is up above. The picture at the bottom is of some rock formations on Moss Island.

We headed up to Dolgeville, stopping to look for a cache along the way. No luck. However, there was a huge antique store right there, so we spent a few minutes looking around there.We didn't have any luck looking for a geocache in Dolgeville, nor did we find the one in Salisbury Center so we continued on our way north.

We stopped in Old Forge and got to the hardware store about five minutes before closing. Mary wanted a glass topper for her coffee pot and a worker was able to find it for her immediately.

We arrived at our lodging at a place known as Mary's Place in Inlet. We had a huge room with three or four beds. We went out to eat at the Hard Times Cafe in Eagle Bay. It was a pretty good meal. Then we returned to our lodging. Both Mary and I relaxed with a book for a couple of hours until we bedded down.

Saturday morning we found some delicious pastrys and donuts set out in a "common room". While Mary relaxed with her book, I set off to explore Inlet and to look for a pair of hiking boots. Mary had suggested a place to look for hiking boots the night before. I found a great pair of boots and took a few pictures. We found one "earthcache" in Inlet and one large cache full of books (hidden at the Woods Inn) but we were unsuccessful in our attempts to find two more. One of those involved hiking up a very rocky hill, the other had some huge old fallen down trees.

Early afternoon we decided to head back towards Oneonta, taking a different route. We stopped near Blue Mountain Lake and found two geocaches near Durant Lake. One was easy. The other one was, well shall I say........interesting........ We were just about to give up after about twenty minutes of searching and then I looked UP! It was over my head, hanging off of a tree limb. I had to climb on a huge rock next to the tree and I was able to push it off. I had Mary take a picture of me and thats it up at the top. I was not able to replace it on the same branch, it was just too far for me to reach, but I put it on another branch closeby. I noticed recently that the Durant Lake Loop geocaches have been archived.

We stopped for subs. I think that was in Speculator. We found two caches not far from there. I think we got back to Oneonta much later than we had planned on.

It was a great weekend! I got my new boots! We had a great meal, and some great donuts! We geocached and hiked and had lots of fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment