Monday, February 8, 2010

All Saints Chapel: Morris, NY




This is an account of a past adventure.

In July of 2009, Connie called me and told me that there was an upcoming guided walk (on a Sunday afternoon) starting at All Saints Chapel. I told her that I have always wanted to see the inside of the chapel, which I have seen from the road several times. She signed us both up.

We met up at my house, but took two vehicles. After a bit of driving around, we found the elusive parking area for the chapel. There were a lot of people there. We spent some time looking around in the cemetery, where a lot of Morris's are buried. Things started out with everyone going into the chapel and we were given a brief history of it. The Episcopal Church in Morris uses the chapel for an occasional service. The inside of the chapel is beautiful.

After that we divided in groups and were given a "guided walk" along Dimmock Hollow road which goes along the Morris Creek. Several times we left the road to go beyond the fence and look around. Some people in the group related tales of when they were kids and how they hung around the creek and tubed down the many small waterfalls.

I was particularly interested in the huge old BBQ pit that our guide referred to jokingly as "The Morris Crematorium". I think it would be a great place to hide a geocache. Hopefully, I will go back someday and find the bbq pit and do that. I actually already do have a geocache hidden
in the little park area across the road from the chapel.

After the walk, several participants went for a gourmet lunch at THE EMPIRE in Gilbertsville. We passed on that.

I was so glad that Connie found out about this guided walk. The pictures are of the chapel itself and of some stained glass windows inside the chapel. I don't recall if they were on the wall behind the pulpit or in the ceiling. I love the blues !

No comments:

Post a Comment