Saturday, September 23, 2017

All Over the Place with Betty: Saturday September 23, 2017

A couple of days ago I found out about this event:  SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE:  Museum Day Live.  The date was today and free tickets for two were issued for many museums all over the USA.  Two museums included are close to me:  The Erie Canal Discovery Center and the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Museum in Amherst.   I was able to download two tickets for free admission to both of these museums and Betty agreed to accompany me.

She picked me up at ten a.m. and we went to the Erie Canal Discovery Center.   However, we noticed that the Lockport Community Market was going on and decided to go to that first.  Betty bought two bottles of wine(one for me) after we test tasted two types:
Then we went to the Discovery Center.  We were the first people to use the free tickets.  Betty had never been to this museum.  I had never seen the short movie, and I really enjoyed it.  There is a simulated trip on a packet boat at the end of it!  I love this mural.
Many of the displays are about the building of the Erie Canal.

We  went back to the market for a few minutes because someone Betty knows was playing music in the gazebo.  
and she bought some produce.

We had lunch at Kalamata's.  I had the patty melt with sweet potato fries, both were good.  

Then we headed out towards Amherst to the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Museum.  Betty had never been there, in fact she did not even know of its existence.    Most of the buildings were open.  The most interesting spot was where Civil War re-enactors were holding a post civil war get together.
It was terribly hot and humid, but we stuck it out and I think we went into every building.  We also spent some time on the inside exhibits.  The radio and tv exhibit is really nice.
replica of  Jimmy's Diner.

We went for ice cream at JoJo's before Betty dropped me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment