Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lyndonville Adventure

It was a gorgeous fall day (some would call it INDIAN SUMMER) and after spending the morning with my Dad at Briody's, I decided to do a bit of exploring in Western New York, since thats where I will be for most of October. I called my friend from my high school years (Barbara) but she was busy so I decided to go solo.

I headed to Lyndonville to go to YODERS COUNTRY CUPBOARD. My GPS took me there without any problems. I purchased some items and asked if I could get a sandwich made at their deli. I was told "yes" and I chose the items for my sandwich. I also purchased some snack items for the trip to PENNYLVANIA DUTCH COUNTRY that I will be leaving for tomorrow morning. As I was leaving the store, Mr. Yoder (I assume that was him) suggested that I eat my lunch on their large swing or anyplace in the yard that I liked. I chose the swing and ate my sandwich and iced tea. A teenage Amish girl (I assume Mr. Yoder's daughter) came over and we chatted for a couple of minutes about the stray cat they adopted after someone abandoned the pregnant mama cat. I took a few pictures.

Then I set off to find store I saw advertised in the Union Sun and Journal (J.C. Miller Co. General Store). I found it and was delighted to see that it is run by an Amish family. It is advertised as being unique and I was happy to find some items that I have been unable to find other places.

I asked the Amish girl who waited on me if Lyndonville has a Main Street and she headed me in the right direction. I found Lyndonville and stopped to take several pictures. I was able to purchase an ORLEANS COUNTY map at the village or town offices. Lyndonville has an old fashioned grocery store and a couple of abandoned storefronts, as well as a hotel, a sub shop, a park and a couple of fishing areas along the creek.

Driving out of Lyndonville, I spotted this ghost sign (I think in a hamlet called Ridgeville). Then I stopped in the tiny hamlet of , where I saw this old mill building which has been transformed into an antique shop.

Closeby, I saw this ghost sign:

I headed back to Lockport making one stop at a farm market where I purchased a gallon of cider, some candy, some plums and some tomato jam.


After that, I headed back to Lockport. I stopped at Dad's place to put the cider in the frig, and then I headed to Briody's to spend some time with Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment