Monday, August 16, 2010

WEEKEND GETAWAY ADVENTURES!!!!!!

I had planned to go to Lockport for the 2010 Bowler Family reunion for over a year. About a month before, I suffered a "minimal shoulder fracture", which made a lot of things difficult: including driving. I resigned myself to missing it until my sister Peggy came up with an idea. She offered to drive to Oneonta from Lockport on Thursday, August 12th and then she and I would drive to Lockport on Friday the 13th.
My Dad decided to accompany her, and they arrived late on Thursday night.

We headed out around eleven a.m. on Friday. Our first stop was in Earlville. When I realized we would be driving right through that small town, I suggested we stop and see the Earlville Opera House. Here is a picture of the old restored opera house:

Our second stop was in the town of Hamilton. There is a geocache hidden across the street from a Meneely Bell. I found that quickly and then took some pictures of the small park that holds the bell.

We stopped for lunch at a McDonalds in Cazenovia. Then we were on our way again.

We found a geocache at the Welsh Church near Cazenovia. This old church does not have any plumbing or heating and is only open in the summer months. There is a cemetery attached to it, and the geocache is hidden just outside the cemetery.


Then on to another church. This time it was the Delphi Falls UC in the tiny hamlet of Delphi Falls in the town of Pompey. I had tried to find this geocache a couple of years ago without any success. It was beyond the area where I was looking, and Peggy found it rather quickly.

Our last geocache was at a rest area on Route 20 and Peggy found this one, too.

Peggy asked Dad if he would like to stop in Syracuse to visit his friend, Mary. She lives in a retirement community. Mary spent most of her young childhood living with Dad's family on Phelps Street. We stopped and she was happy to see us, and we visited for about an hour before heading to the thruway. Peggy pointed out the building with a house on top. Here is a picture.


After that we headed home, with one major stop: in Batavia for supper at a chinese restaurant. This particular place had mongolion bbq. It was a great meal.
When we arrived in Lockport, we stopped at Glenwood Cemetery. I wanted to look at my newly purchased plot. We also looked at plots of deceased relatives. It was dusk as we were leaving. I think we got back to Dads place around nine p.m. I was in bed at ten p.m. Earlier, I told Peggy that it was a GLORIOUS DAY. I meant it, too. I had been cooped up in the house since my injury (7/13 a whole month), and it was so good to get out and do things.

First thing Saturday morning, Peggy drove me to a place where they sell cemetery monuments. I chose one and paid for it. It will be placed on my plot at Glenwood Cemetery. Of course, I hope I don't need it for a long time.

Peggy picked me up and we drove out to Cambria where we located the old abandoned LOCKPORT AIR FORCE STATION. Peggy had been once before, but she had only gone in one building. This time we were able to get into THREE buildings. The wierd thing is that some of the air force buildings have been made into apartments that are occupied, and they sit right in the middle of the abandoned buildings. Some are boarded up well, and others are wide open. Here are a couple of pictures taken from that urban exploration excursion.
a href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjHu3q_Wtm-eTSBy9f18hx9aOvkP1MxcNcvHGbuNsRg3IYXgzuzQA6pAgXPD7YVgQOdGsxORbscK60j6Ggt7hlwuOF2O2oWmUsdkz-SNDnHmKd8G1rrLisYHZ1uswzm1GRY_oFeGf865o8D/s1600/empty+af+bldg.jpg">

After the air force base, Peggy wanted to show me the old train depot in Lockport. I had seen it when I was a kid (and it was already empty at that time), but I appreciated the architecture more this time. Here is a picture.
We ran into Dad and he was going to Niagara Produce, which is one of his favorite stores. It is like a farm market but inside. The prices are pretty good, too. I bought some ice and some green grapes.

It was getting close to the time for the BBQ that Peggy had planned, so we headed back to Phelps Street. I helped Peggy a bit before our guests arrived. Gail, her husband Bob, three sons and two grandkids, Mike and his two daughters, and Susan Bowler who was up from Maryland for the reunion joined Dad, Peggy and I. Peggy fixed chicken and hot dogs on the grill. I ate way too much! We all had a great time. It was Gail's 59th birthday and we had TWO cakes and ice cream. It was another exhausting day and even Dad (who is a nightowl) fell into bed before ten p.m.

Sunday morning, Dad and I picked up my brother Mike and we went to the Christian, Missionary and Alliance Church (Dad's church). After church, Dad and Mike wanted to go for a late breakfast at LaPorts, but I was planning to eat at the TASTE OF LOCKPORT, so I asked them to drop me off on the Big Bridge and I would walk to Dads house from there. I had a great time walking home and taking pictures along the way. Here is a picture of the old cold storage building near the railroad tracks on Hawley Street:

When Peggy got home from church, we headed to THE TASTE OF LOCKPORT. It is an event that is held every year. This was my very first "taste of" experience and it was really enjoyable. Of course I ate too much. I started out with "Reuben Chowder" and then had a BBQ'd Drumstick. After that I had chicken and biscuits, fruit cobbler and a few other items that I can't remember. We were late to the Bowler family reunion, but we arrived in the middle of the White Elephant Auction.


After the reunion, Peggy and I hid a geocache on an abandoned section of Hawley Street. It was Peg's first "hide". She hid an ammo box full of stash. Then Peggy wanted to show me some more old buildings. We saw the old abandoned power station, and some buildings that used to be part of Flintkote. This is a picture of a Flintkote tower.

That night we met Susan at a pizzeria on Main Street in Lockport and the four of us
(Dad, Peg, myself and Susan) had a nice supper together. And then back to Phelps Street. Once again, I was in bed early.

Monday morning, Peggy drove me to the Buffalo Amtrak station. This was my first train ride. Because of my injury, I paid extra for a "business class seat" and it was very roomy. When we got to Rome, I was pleasantly surprised to find an old and authentic station. At one time it must have been a subway station. There was a separate waiting area for women! I took several pictures and waited for Carol Kraft to arrive and take me home. She got lost on the way, so I had plenty of time to take pictures.

It was a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment