Friday, August 20, 2010

Terry's Birthday Adventure

I think Terry and I have started a tradition. Last year she and I went to Margaretsville and Andes on her birthday. This year, she chose Cherry Valley. Today was her sixtieth birthday. We met up at McDonalds at 9:15 for breakfast and then we headed out. I filled Terry's gas tank up as a birthday gift to her.

Our first stop was DOLLHOUSE HALL OF FAME. It is a new attraction, located south of Cooperstown on County Rd. 33. We had a bit of trouble finding it because we did not know it was part of COOPERSTOWN COUNTRY WAREHOUSE.
But when we did find it, we were pleasantly surprised. There is no charge to go in and walk through the display. It is quite large. We spent some time in the shop, looking around.




Then we headed to Cherry Valley. We stopped in Westfield so I could take a ocuple of pictures of the residence that used to be a gas station, years ago.

In Cherry Valley, we looked for the museum. We spent over an hour there and enjoyed every minute of it. The man running it said the items on display came out of the attics of Cherry Valley residents. Here are a couple of pictures:

I particularly liked the l897 Cement Flower Box in the front yard of the museum.
You can see pictures of some of the items on display here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/sets/72157624651268823/

After that we walked down to Clough's Bookshop. I bought a copy of Louis L'Amour's CONNAGHER, a book I had started to read at Dad's house last weekend. I think Terry bought something, too. We peeked in an ice cream shop that was made up to look like the l950's (unfortunately closed now). We went into IT'S ALL GOOD, which is a health food store, and I bought some peppers from a small vegetable stand just outside of IT'S ALL GOOD. Then we walked back to the car so I could get my purse.

We had lunch at COYOTE'S CAFE. We had the roast beef melt and the turkey melt (we shared) and sweet potato fries.
It was delicious and the service was excellent. I did have a minor incident when I got stuck in their restroom because the lock in the doorknob did not want to work. But someone in the kitchen heard me trying and let me out. When I asked if I was the first person to get stuck in there, she did not answer me.

After lunch, Terry wanted to visit an old friend of hers, the mother of a former patient. We found her place (right across from the old civil war barracks) and we visited with Shirley for about forty minutes. She has a gorgeous home.

Our last stop in Cherry Valley was at the LITHIA SPRING HOUSE.
We only stayed a couple of minutes, long enough to taste the water and take a few pictures. Then it was back to Oneonta.

We stopped at Arby's for iced tea and turnovers and then Terry dropped me off at McDonalds so I could get my car. We agreed that it was a great day and we want to do it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment