Friday, August 6, 2010

A Cooperstown Adventure


Circus Exhibit: Cooperstown Historical Society
Originally uploaded by JuneNY


Linda is recovering from an infection after her total hip replacement, and I am recoverning from a fractured shoulder. Together, we might have the body of one good, whole person! She can drive easily, so she offered to drive so we could get "out and about" today. I planned the very flexible agenda.

She picked me up and I showed her the back way to Cooperstown from my house. Our first stop was the New York State Historical Association (library) in Cooperstown. I wanted to see the circus exhibit that I had read about. It turned out to be very small, but very colorful and interesting. It was mostly posters from long past circuses. There were a couple of postcards and some information about the Seven Sutherland Sisters (and their long hair), which was interesting. The sisters lived in my hometown, Lockport, and had hair that was seven feet long, and they were part of a circus sideshow act.


After the exhibit, we walked behind the library and down to the reconstructed Indian long house. Unfortunately, the pathways around the building are temporarily closed because of some other building going on closeby.

Then to Sperbeck's Groceries. Sperbeck's is an Mom and Pop type store that has been in this location (I believe) since l941. In addition to regular general store type items, they also make sandwiches to take out. Linda and I purchased some snack items including some pickled eggs! We sat on a bench outside the store and had our snacks.

Then I suggested we go to the INDIAN MOUND. Linda had never seen it. Here is a picture.

We decided to head home. On the way, we tried to find the field of sunflowers that Carol told me about the other day, but we did not see it. We stopped at Pop's Place and had waffle cones, and then Linda took me home.

It was a gorgeous day with lots of sunshine, no rain, a nice breeze and moderate temperatures. I had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment