Monday, February 6, 2017

From Israel to New York

After a long day of sightseeing and a wonderful farewell dinner at THE OLIVE AND FISH, we all got on the bus and headed to Tel Aviv and Ben Gurion Airport.  The drive there was uneventful and we all got our luggage out of the bottom of the bus and checked in.

Unfortunately, after we got on the plane, we were told there was a problem causing a delay.  One of the side doors needed a new shaft.  Some passengers got to wait in the airport, but those who had already boarded were stuck in our seats for an extra hour or so while the repairmen did their work.  The pilot had announced that he was hoping it would be repaired quickly before the CURFEW after which no planes are allowed to fly.  I was so tired that I fell asleep while the repairs were completed.  So, our departure was delayed for an hour or so and then we were on our way.  

It was a VERY long flight, I think about twelve hours.  Peg and I got up three or four times and walked around which helped.  We were served two very good meals.  The breakfast of omelette, roll and cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese and small salad was particularly good.  It was a kosher meal.

After landing at JFK, the trouble began.  It seemed like we went through twenty various checkpoints and we often wondered if we were headed in the right direction.  Our trip planner K.C.  was not available to help us out.   After a lot of frustrations including when they refused  to check Horace's large suitcase, we had a very long walk to our terminal.  David and Peggy stopped to have pizza, but I trudged along and found most of our group at the terminal.  I purchased a sandwich at a nearby shop and took a seat.  

Our plane from JFK to Buffalo was small but very comfortable and it was a very short trip.  Our luggage was there!!! Here is some of our group retrieving theirs. 
Davids brother Ken was there to meet us and help us get our luggage to his car and we had an uneventful drive to my house.   David and Peggy retrieved Petra from the upstairs apartment.  

I tried to stay awake until a reasonable time but gave in around five thirty or six pm and went to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment