Saturday, December 17, 2011

Seven Smiley Adventure!!!

Today was the local geocachers Christmas event (smiley #1) at the Holiday Inn in Oneonta. The turnout was great and I had a great time. Here is a picture of "the log" for this event:
I think everyone enjoyed it! This year they offered the breakfast buffet. A new item was the black cherry french toast which was out of this world!

Part of the event was the ornament exchange. Each person brought one ornament and then chose another to take home. Here are the ornaments displayed before the drawing;


The highlight of the event for me, though was when Leslie gave me this book as a Christmas gift.
I could hardly stop myself from looking at it during the event.

After the event, Leslie and I went geocaching. Our first stop was at STUMPED AT THE MALL. We had been looking for a few minutes when several other geocachers who had attended the event joined us.
We were glad for the extra help, but we really did not need it, since Leslie zeroed in on the extraordinary location. (Smiley #2) Then we headed towards Cooperstown, stopping along the way to find three geocaches. The first was PARKING FORE CACHERS, near a miniature golf place. Leslie found this while I was heading in the opposite direction. )Smiley #3)after that, we went to the location of DON'T BLOW YOUR TOP. Once again Leslie found this one before I even figured out how to get to the location. Another great hide! (Smiley
#4)and then we headed to the the GREENOUGH FISHING ACCESS. We pulled up and parked right behind Tundra Wolfs truck. He and Macman2u had already found part one, so we teamed up with them to find part two. The guys had their dogs with them, and while I am not really a dog lover, these four dogs were so well behaved and well, even kind of cute! Anyways, we all laughed when that tiny cache
(Smiley #5) was found since we were looking for something MUCH larger!

Then on to Cooperstown, to HISTORIC WARRANTS, a geocache hidden right outside the Cooperstown Police Department. Tundra Wolf had already found this one, but the rest of us hadn't, so we let him give us little bits of hints, although I am not sure any of them helped us much. I did a little better with this one, since I noticed the hiding spot first. (Smiley #6)I said "It can't be in there", but I was wrong and we retrieved it. Who would have thought an ammo can could be hid so close to the Cooperstown Police Department. Kudos to IrishTala and KiltlifterScott for their creativity.

Then we all headed to Fairy Springs Park for TROLLS AND FAIRIES. Leslie found this one first. (Smiley #7) I never quite made it up to the exact spot, since I am a bit fearful of climbing uphill esp. when there it might be slippery. I am glad we found this off season, since in the summer months, you have to pay $5.00 per person to enter this small park, which is right on the lake.

We said goodbye to the guys and decided to have a late lunch in Cooperstown. There was a parking spot in front of the Cooperstown Diner,
so we stopped there. I had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and chickey barley soup. It was very good. We had planned to go to Hartwick to find the rest of IrishTala's hides, but it was getting kind of late so we headed back to Oneonta.

We made one more stop: at Annuto's Farm Stand, so Leslie could look for a particular sauce that her mother likes. They were out of it. I saw this holly at Annuto's
She dropped me off at NBT bank near Hannafords where I had left my car. It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment