Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Eve Day Geocaching Adventure

I never go out New Years Eve (I am too old and boring for that), but I like to do something on either New Years Eve Day or New Years Day. A couple of weeks ago, Leslie and I agreed to go out on New Years Eve Day for some geocaching and lunch out. We met up in Laurens around ten a.m. this morning and headed towards the area of Springfield Center, New York (at the top of Otsego Lake, close to US 20). Along the way we stopped ate the Glimmerglass Opera House so that Leslie could check on one of her geocaches. It is hidden near this trailhead:
She located it and decided to take it with her so she could clean it up a bit.

Our first geocaching stop was so I could find a geocache in a very tiny cemetery. The name of the cache is ITHY (I haven't figure out why yet) and I found it very quickly.
Leslie had found it before, so she stayed in the car and worked on punching coords into her GPS for some other geocaches.

We were in and out and around the tiny village of Springfield Center (Town of Springfield) and I took several pictures. This pic is of an old, colorful building that is for sale: in its most recent life I think it was an antique and collectibles store.

I think our second stop was at AUNT JAKE, which was a micro hidden on or in a sign. Leslie found this one and we headed out. Our third stop was at BEST CACHE BY A DAM SIGHT. Although we had a pretty good clue, and looked for over a half hour, we did not find this one.
Its in a pretty spot, at Shipman Pond. After that we headed up to Route 20. Leslie found the large geocache ROCK OF AGES, while I checked out the little deli in a small store across the road. The deli part of the store is closed down for the winter. I think then we drove back and Leslie found CACHE AT THE MARKET, one I found earlier this year. This old barn is right next to the market.
And then to the best geocache of all: LOG SCHOOLHOUSE. The school house is long gone, but there are some ruins and a New York State historical marker.


We debated a bit about where to have lunch and decided to head back to Cooperstown. Once in Cooperstown, we needed to decide where to have lunch. We had pretty much settled on eating in THE PIT in THE TUNNICLIFF INN. However, when we got there, it was closed. We crossed the street and checked out a coffee shop, and then Leslie noticed a new place down an alley. THE COOPERSTOWN BACK ALLEY GRILLE just opened three months ago. Finding it and eating there was a pleasant surprise, and a great way to end the day.

I had bbq chicken, bbq ribs, coleslaw and french fries for about twelve dollars and it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment