Sunday, December 4, 2011

Hyde Hall, Christmas Trees and geocaching (not all in that order)

Leslie asked me a few days ago if I would be interested in going to Glimmerglass State Park for a Christmas open house at Hyde Hall. It sounded good to me. Late Sunday morning, I made a couple of sandwiches and then met Leslie in Laurens around 12:40 p.m.

We stopped in Cooperstown to see if we could find a geocached hidden by Mr. Science. The name of it is Heisenburgs Uncertainty. Leslie had looked before without success, but today she found it quickly. It was in a very tricky spot that required getting right down on the ground to reach in and get it. It was finally retrieved.

After that, we headed up the east side of the Lake (our usual route to Glimmerglass) but we had to turn back when we came to barriers closing the road. We had kind of ingnored the warning sign. I guess the warning sign should have said ROAD REALLLY CLOSED. Anyways, we used my cemetery map to find another route, which turned out to be kind of interesting. We drove through Middlefield Center, in the Town of Middlefield. There wasn't really much there, though.

Hyde Hall
had vendors, music
and craftspeople and refreshments in one of the rooms, plus some decorations in the entry hallway.
We walked around the property and went into the small museum that tells about the restoration of Hyde Hall. Very interesting. I purchased a postcard. Then we went to the FRIENDS OF GLIMMERGLASS FESTIVAL OF TREES. Several trees have been decorated and will be raffled off.
This year they had a Santa Claus. They had lots of small Christmas items and cookies, etc. for sale.

Leslie suggested that I might find a couple of geocaches hidden near Hyde Hall, but I wanted to go to Hartwick to look for one or more of IrishTala's micros. We decided to take a different route back, driving down the other side of the lake. There was a detour on Mill Road, which got us confused, but somehow we ended up where we wanted to be. Once we got to the Town of Hartwick, we used our GPS's to find SCARRED FOR LIFE, in a very old cemetery MAPLES CEMETERY on MAPLES ROAD. I took this picture
After that, we found RUSTIC ROSE, on Route 205. We saw this there: By time we finished up with this geocache, it was just starting to get dark. I really wanted to try to find CRUSOE'S, one we had looked for before but did not find, but I realized I was almost out of gas, so we headed back to Laurens instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment