Saturday, July 23, 2011

Trip to Lockport: July 18-22, 2011

My Dad had various complications following his surgery and ended up in ICU at Roswell. Things were pretty touch and go over the weekend of July 16 and 17, and at one point they gave him a 50/50 chance. Sunday night, I was prepared to drive to Lockport, but my sisters both said to wait until Monday.

So, I left early Monday morning and drove to Buffalo. I stopped at a farm stand in the apple region and bought a piece of pie which turned out to be my lunch. I arrived at Roswell early in the afternoon. I met my two sisters there, my brother Mike had gone to Washington, D.C. for a work related conference, but he decided to return and was on his way back.

Dad was in a "medically induced coma" which means just what it sounds like. He was hooked up to all sorts of machines. What a horrible sight. But we knew that the reason for this was so that his body and mind could get some badly needed rest. I think the agitation he was displaying had something to do with the doctors decision that this was the best thing to do. Dr. Guru expressed his belief that this would work.

Gail, Peggy and I spent some time with Dad. Mike called to tell us that he and Janey and the boys would spend the night in Pennsylvania and he would return to New York on Tuesday. Gail, Peggy and I had supper at the ANCHOR BAR, the place where Buffalo chicken wings were created. We tried both the medium wings and the spicy barbecue wings. Then we went back to the hospital to see Dad one more time. Peggy drove my car back to Lockport and we stopped at Anderson's for a frozen custard.

The next morning (Tuesday) Peggy went to work. The plans were for me to meet Peggy at her workplace and we would drive to Buffalo together. Since, visiting hours don't start until eleven a.m., I took the opportunity to go to the historical society to find a geocache and then went to the ERIE CANAL DISCOVERY CENTER, which is in the same building where I used to go roller skating when I was a teen Originally, it was a church. When I was a teen we called it THE HAMILTON HOUSE, and I think it may have been owned by the Presbyterian Church at that time. Also, the LOCKPORT BARGERS, a camping club that my parents belonged to used to meet here.


After that, I went to the First Presbyterian Church, right across the street, in order to do a self guided tour of the Tiffany Stained Glass windows.

Since I was baptized, went to Wednesday afternoon church school, was confirmed and married in this church, it was like a trip down memory lane. Everything looks pretty much the same. Then I went to REID'S for lunch. REID's was one of my favorite places when I was a kid. I had a "white hot" (something you can't get in this part of the state) and a small chocolate milkshake.

I met up with Peggy and I drove part way so that she could eat her lunch (Taco Bell). Gail arrived later on that afternoon. Mike arrived also.

It was pretty awful seeing Dad hooked up to all those machines with all those hoses and tubes. The four of us went out to supper at the Colter Bay Grill, and we ate outside. I had a burger and sweet potato fries. Peggy and I stopped for ice cream at a different place on the way back to Lockport.

The plan for Wednesday morning was for Mike to pick me up around ten thirty a.m. so I
decided to go out for breakfast. I went to Tom's Diner on Main Street. It is a fifties style diner. Here are a few pictures.


I ordered the BIG BREAKFAST and it was too big, I took some of it home with me. I went to the library to look for a geocache but was unsuccessful. I noticed that a sign in front of the Palace Theatre said the Box Office was open, so I thought maybe I could at least go in and see the lobby. I have not been inside the Palace since the late sixties. I lucked out and was able to go inside and look around. There was a play rehearsal taking place on the stage, so I stayed out of the theatre area, but took some pictures of the lobby, the box office, some displays in the area behind the theatre and of the concession stand, stairway to the balcony, etc Here are some pictures. This is on the wall, along with some other information and memorabilia in the area to the right of the concession stand: This is the box office in the lobby:
This is a view from the outside.


Mike picked me up and we went to Roswell. I think this was the day we had to wait quite a while before they would let us in ICU. They were working with Dad and it seemed to take forever, but finally we were let in. We were told that Dad was starting to come out of the sedation. We talked to him, and it was clear that he could hear us because he nodded a bit or shook his head to say no. I read a couple of devotionals to him. Peggy and Gail arrived and we took turns going in to spend time with Dad. I told him about having chicken wings at THE ANCHOR and he made a little face. That evening, Mike left early and Gail, Peggy and I had supper at FAT BOB's SMOKEHOUSE. I had the sloppy joe and Peggy had a chicken sandwich and we shared.

Thursday morning, I washed the throw rugs in Dad's bathroom and hung them out to dry and did a couple more small cleaning jobs. Then, I went to the small museum down by the locks. I was sorry I went because it was SO hot that I needed to take another shower before Mike picked me up. Mike and I were thrilled to see Dad. He was obviously more awake and aware and could carry on a conversation of sorts. I skipped lunch because I wanted to spend as much time with Dad as possible, but I did pick up a scone in the lobby. Gail and Peggy arrived a couple of hours later and we all took turns going in to visit with Dad. I was really happy when I went in one time and he already had his eyes open when we arrived. Gail and Mike left early and Peggy and I went out for supper at the PEARL STREET BREWERY. Up at the top is an old time picture of the place. It still looks the same. Its a really neat place. We shared potato pancakes, a steak salad and a fish dish. Everything was delicious! We returned to Roswell to see Dad one more time before leaving for Lockport. I said my goodbyes to Dad since I would be leaving for home first thing in the morning. Peggy didn't really want to stop for ice cream again! BUT, she did take me to see the SUMMIT STREET HOUSE, which was featured on a tv show about ghost hunting. I took a few pictures.

Friday morning, I headed out of Lockport about 8:15 a.m. I chose a different route, involving going north a bit so I could drive through Gasport, where my Dad worked much of my childhood: at Drum Oil Company. I found the location, but it appears that the building has been torn down and replaced with something different OR possibly it has just changed a lot. I got back on the main route and I found the NEW
and improved Drum Oil Company, featuring an old gas pump! Here is a pic.
I drove through the outskirts of Middleport and spotted Darrel's Restaurant where Dad and Peggy go on Friday nights for creamed codfish. I drove through Middleport's
downtown. I recall my mother taking me to a eye doctors appointment in Middleport when I was a kid. I stopped to take a picture of an old church made into a shop in the hamlet of Millville. I would like to drive through Millville again someday, it looks like an interesting hamlet and I saw a couple of interesting buildings that I would like to get pictures of.
I decided to take 98S to Batavia and get on the Thruway. Once on the thruway, I stopped at a visitors center to get a new map, and was told that a section of the thruway ahead was closed. So, I got off north of Shortsville and drove south to get on 5 and 20 in Canandaigua and head west. As far as I know, I had never been in Shortsville before. I drove down the main street and saw this old Blacksmith Shop.
In Canandaigua, I stopped for lunch at a TOM WAHL'S. I had a burger and their version of fried dough (Waldough).

I drove on 20 through Geneva and Waterloo and then Seneca Falls. Just beyond Seneca Falls, traffic slowed to a crawl and I spent about 45 minutes inching along. I had decided to drive down the east side of Seneca Lake, but it was not to be. At that intersection all traffic was diverted northerly. I drove through the Montezuma Wildlife area, and after that I had NO idea where I was going. I saw these two murals.



There were other things I would have liked to take picturs of, but it was getting late. It took me MUCH longer to get home than I planned and I must have driven fifty or sixty miles extra. I arrived home at 5:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment