Thursday, July 28, 2011

Geocaching and More July 28, 2011

I met up with Leslie at her house this morning and with her at the wheel, we set off for a day of geocaching.

Our first stop was in the "town" (not the village) of Otego, go find a geocache. Leslie found this one. Then we drove a back route over to Otego. Leslie referred to it as "driving the Otsdawa" which means driving along the Otsdawa Creek. We saw an old one room schoolhouse that I plan to stop and see sometime soon. We stopped at an old cemetery that I had noticed on a previous daytrip a month or so ago. I think maybe someday I will hide a geocache here:



In Otego, we went to a park to find a multi cache hidden by team nitro. We were not successful finding the first part, even though it seemed like we had the exact location. If we DID have the right location, then the cache has been removed.

After that it was on to Wells Bridge. While Leslie went out on the footbridge to find MIDDLE OF THE SUSQUEHANNA, I took pictures of a building that has interested me.


It appears to have been a general store at one time, and then in its next life an antique shop, but it is closed now.

I went down the bridge, where Leslie was still looking. I gave her a few hints to help her find it, since I could see that she was uneasy being out on the bridge (it is a see-through bridge). She found it and signed the log. We then located the site of a travel bug hotel along the other side of the river, but there were construction workers taking a lunch break right near the location, so we decided not to look today.

Back in the Village of Wells Bridge, we checked out a small park to see if it might be a good place to hide a geocache. We decided it wasn't. Then it was on to Mt. Upton. Along the way we saw another old country cemetery and stopped for a few minuts. I think I might hide a geocache at this cemetery someday. We took a back route over to Mt. Upton, and found the site of FA RT8. FA stands for fishing access. We drove right by it and then when we saw a bar/restaurant, we decided to stop and see if we could have lunch before finding that geocache.

We tried the doors and a guy came out and told us that they do not serve lunch. I have a feeling it is the kind of place Leslie would NOT have liked, so its probably a good thing. It used to be THE ROCK INN, but now it is a biker bar called ROCKIN' ROADHOUSE.

We returned to the fishing access and quickly found FA R8.
Then we drove into the village of Mt. Upton. We had lunch at the convenience store because the small restaurant on the other side of the street was not open. (again, they do not serve lunch). I had a sub and Leslie had a chicken sandwich. Then we walked over to the little park where Leslie found LADY UPTON RIDES AGAIN. I was pretty sure that the cache was NOT in this park, but at the location of LADY UPTONS monument, but I was wrong. Leslie found it and we signed the log.

Then we found another geocache in a nearby park: WILD WHEELS. Leslie found this one just as I was about to suggest that we quit and come back another time.

We headed back to Oneonta. I asked Leslie to stop at my house so I could check phone messages. She found a neat back route to take instead of the way I would have gone. We drove through the MAPLE GROVE area. I think I saw a vacant small country church, and hope to go back someday and check it out and take a picture.

Back in Oneonta, I ran a few errands. It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment