Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Reservoir Adventure

We are having some glorious pre-fall weather and Connie and I wanted to spend some
time outside this afternoon. Leslie had mentioned in an email that there was a new geocache hidden at "the reservoir" in the Laurens/Mt. Vision area. At first I did not know what she was referring to, but I realized I have been there before, but that I did not know it was a reservoir. I just knew it as Wilber Lake, a place I geocached at a couple of times in the past.

Soooooooooo, after work, I met up with Connie in the parking lot at the corner of Winnie Hill Road and Chestnut Street. Connie drove and we ended up at the parking area on the Airport Road side of the lake.

A minute or two into our hike we noticed this interesting structure:
We went into the woods and checked it out. We do not have any idea who built it or what it is for. It appears that a log was hung up in the middle to be used as a place to sit.

We continued walking until we got to the lake. I asked Connie if she wanted to find a geocache and she said OK. So we followed the trail to the left and then went into the woods. It was fairly easy to find. Connie and I both signed the log and I took a piece of a WW2 bullet that the owner or one of the previous finders left. COOL!

Then we went back to the main trail and crossed the bridge to the other side of the lake. We saw a tiny snake on the path, Connie said she thought it might be a baby rattlesnake.

The neat thing about this trail is that it used to be a road, and the signs are still up. Here is a picture of one of the signs.

We reluctantly headed back to Connie's van. We met up with a college student who was taking some pictures for an assignment and we told him about the "mystery structure". It was a great afternoon! What a treasure a nice day is!

No comments:

Post a Comment