Saturday, September 11, 2010

AFTON MUSEUM ADVENTURE on 9/11/10

It was a gorgeous September day and my friend Terry and I set out for Afton, New York. Terry loves to go to museums and historical societies and they agreed to open the museum up for us today, even though normally they are closed on Saturdays. We arrived a few minutes before eleven a.m. (the agreed upon time) and went inside. Nobody seemed to be around, so we signed the guest book and started looking around. A few minutes later, Charles (an elderly man) showed up. He walked through the rest of the museum with us and explained several items and answered questions. The house is full of amazing stuff. You can see pictures I took here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/sets/72157624934799554/ We also spent some time in the bar behind the museum, which holds a lot of farm and household equipment, some dairy farm items and some Mormon artifacts. After we left the museum, I took a picture of a small abandoned laundromat right next door to the museum.

Then we drove a few miles towards Ninevah to see the homestead of a man (Josiah Stowell)who housed and employed Joseph Smith (of Mormon fame). Here is a picture of the homestead:


After that it was back to Afton where we had lunch at the Afton Grill and Bakery, a very nice small restaurant on Main Street.
The food and service were really good! Then we located a private residence across from the Afton fair grounds that used to be a schoolhouse.
Then we headed down Route 7 to Bainbridge, where we went to the FROGPOND. With the pumpkins and the plants, it is very colorful there now. Here is a picture.
I spent eleven dollars and got bananas, potatoes, onions, carrots, plums, pears, a tomato, grapes and a couple of apples.

Then we did some geocaching, finding a geocache behind the Scout Cabin in Bainbridge.
On the way to Wells Bridge for more geocaching, I noticed some old cars parked in front of a shop and we stopped to take pictures.
We were successful in Wells Bridge, finding the geocache hidden in the middle of the old foot bridge. Its a good thing I had a tetanus shot in July, because I scraped my leg up on the rusty bridge. While there, I checked on my geocache hidden on the Route 7 side of the bridge. It was intact and in good shape.

I dropped Terry off at her apartment in Otego and returned home. I recorded my two geocache finds, downloaded pictures to flickr.com and started this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment