Friday, January 21, 2011

OTESAGA AND SPERBECK'S ADVENTURE

Terry and Yvette and I set aside today to go to Cooperstown to have the luncheon buffet at the Otesaga. Yvette backed out due to the weather, but Terry and I decided to see if the weather might clear up so tha we could still go. I called her at eleven a.m. and we decided to
go ahead and to go Cooperstown because the sun was shining and it had cleared up.

The entrees today were talapia and pot roast. They offered their usual spread of salad items and deserts. It was a good meal, but Terry and I agreed that things had changed since the last time we went (last month). The red velvet cake was not as good, the lemon sauce for the talapia was not as good, etc. I am really not sure if I want to go again.......since it is a kind of expensive lunch......sixteen dollars.

After lunch we walked around the Otesaga looking at the old photographs and reading about places around Cooperstown. I took a couple of pictures including the view of Otsego Lake from the front of the Otesaga.

When we left, we realized that the weather had deteriorated quite a bit, so we discussed whether or not we should stay and spend some time in Cooperstown. My plans had been to go to the library for their art exhibit and to "The Smithy" where more art work is on display. But we decided to skip those. However, I could not resist taking Terry to Sperbecks' Grocery, which is a true old time mom and pop type store. Here are a couple of pictures.



Terry was happy to find out that they had SKY BARS. The owners of the store were pleased to tell us some of the history of the store. It opened in August of l941 by the present owners grandfather. His mother ran the store for forty years. During prohibition, there was a "speakeasy" in the basement.

After that, we decided to head back to Oneonta. On the way there, the weather cleared up. I dropped Terry off at her car and then I went to FoxCare and walked for about twenty minutes (it would take a lot longer than that to walk off the meal I ate at the Otesaga). It was a great day, even if we did cut it short.

No comments:

Post a Comment