Thursday, December 30, 2010

Into the Woods and MORE Adventure: December 30, 2010



It turned out to be a sunny and fairly warm late December day and Carol K. and I decided to go "out" for several hours to enjoy the sun. We met up in Morris and headed for SCOUT IT OUT a geocache hidden on the state lands. We found the parking area pretty easily and bundled up and headed "into the woods". I think it was a little less than a half a mile when we came to the cache site. I am pretty sure I found the hiding spot, but the geocache may be buried under ice, and I could not find it.

Our feet were really cold from walking in the snow, so I suggested we stop in Morris and have a piece of pizza and maybe warm up a bit in Nina's. We had Sicilian pizza and got warmed up. Just before leaving, I noticed this clock on the wall above our table.
The next geocache was PITTSFIELD STEEL ANGEL, hidden in a retired snowplow at the town garage in Pittsfield. I was not very hopeful since I have not had much success with this type of geocache in the past, so I was really happy when we found it. Here is a picture of the plow.


I showed Carol the book LANDMARKS OF OTSEGO COUNTY and we started to look for a couple of historic buildings that were in Pittsfield, but we got sidetracked when she mentioned that a friend had told her about several Amish families who are now living in the Parker Road area. We located Parker Road. We saw a bunch of Amish children ice skating on Parker Road. We also saw another Amish property, which was distinguished by the Amish clothing on the clothesline in their yard. I did not take pictures, but hope to return sometime soon.

We were able to locate one historical building in HOBOKEN CORNERS..........a curremt residence that may at one time have been used as the factory store for the Arkwright Cotton Mills which stood nearby. Here is a picture of the house and the sign.



We were both a bit tired by this time so we decided to call it a day. We decided that we MUST do it again and soon, but next time we will get an earlier start.

1 comment: