Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday April 17, 2010 Adventure




My friend Judy suggested I join her for the chicken and biscuit dinner her church was having today. Since it is about a 45 minute drive to Judy's house from my house, I decided to combine that drive with some geocaching. I quickly put two geocaches together and thought about where I would like to hide them. Then I realized that I don't really JUST go geocaching anymore, I now go geocaching AND flickring at the same time. That means while geocaching, I look for "photo-worthy" places and things.


So with my camera and GPS with me, I set out a couple of hours early. My first stop was at the abandoned railroad yard just the other side of Oneonta. I think technically it is in Milford, but it might be in Cooperstown Junction. I stopped and took several pictures. The picture of the red, white and blue railroad car is from this abandoned railroad yard, up above on the top left. I guess I was more observant today, because for the first time I saw what used to be an italian restaurant in an old railroad car. Its right on Route 7, but I had never really looked at or for it. There is a picture of it up above in the middle (going down).

I continued up Route 7 to Worcester, where I planned to hide my first cache. I had noticed a sign for a park right on Main Street, a couple of years ago. I located the park and hid the cache. I took some time to take photos of Judy's church. I had not realized it had a historical marker in front of it. I drove around and I think I located the building which housed the train depot (its on Depot Street). I took pictures of the Worcester Market and of Ardy's. (Ardy's is at the top right).

Then on to Westford, where I hid the second geocache in a playground/park. I noticed an abandoned church across the road from the park, so I took a couple of pictures.

I arrived at Judy's place at the appointed time. I helped her pack up the two cakes she was taking to the dinner. We arrived at the church early and she finished icing the chocolate cake. I got to meet many of her church friends and the chicken and biscuits was delicious.

After eating, I headed back to Oneonta. I really needed to "walk off" some of that gravy, so I stopped at Southside Mall and walked for about 35 minutes before heading home. I also did a couple of very small errands in Oneonta.

No comments:

Post a Comment