Thursday, February 15, 2018

DAY ONE: trip to Hilton Head Island (South Carolina)

Several weeks ago, Peggy suggested that I fly to South Carolina and meet up with her and David during their annual two weeks on Hilton Head Island.  I agreed and found a flight for today (February 15, 2018).  Elaine drove me to the airport an I did a TSA PreCheck which was pretty quick and easy, because I did not check any luggage.  I packed ahead of time and sent my bags with David and Peg in their rental car.  When you do self check in, you don't have to take your shoes or jacket off or take your laptop out of you carry on bag. That does not seem right to me, since travelers COULD use this way to try to take in items that are not acceptable.  I guess those items would be seen when they go through the scanner, anyways.

My terminal was the first one I came to after I headed towards the terminals after going through the checkpoint.  I arrived way too early, but I got online easily enough and had a book to read and I walked around a bit.


When it came time to board, they asked for volunteers to check their carry on bags to their final destination without charge.  There were not enough volunteer so some of us were told we had to check ours.  I asked if I could have mine back when we arrive in Charlotte and I was told NO, that I could get it at my final destination in Hilton Head.  Of course, I worried about that!   The guy checking the bags told me to take my laptop out of my carry on bag, so I did.

The flight to Charlotte was uneventful.  When we got to the airport, I had a VERY long walk to the farthest terminal and then I had a two hour wait.  It went fast since I had a good book.

The flight to Hilton Head left a few minutes late but made good time.  Peggy was waiting for me and I crossed my finger and prayed that my carry on would arrive.    Here is the luggage arrival station.
It was one of the last pieces of luggage to come out!!

We drove immediately to David's favorite restaurant on HHI
Stellini Italian Restaurant.  We were able to get the early bird special even though we were a couple of minutes late.  It was a glass of wine, house salad, appetizer, bread and main course.  We all had the mussels for the appetizer and they were very tasty.  The salad was so fresh and the main dish (Peg and I both chose CHICKEN CACCIATORE) was magnificent.  I brought some of mine back to our lodging.  

We took a ride so they could show me the PIGGLY WIGGLY and then we went to the condo.  I have my own room with a queen size bed, my own tv and my own bathroom.  I was tired but very happy.  




No comments:

Post a Comment