Monday, April 19, 2010

Mel's Antique Race Cars and more ADVENTURE!!!!





Franklin, New York
Originally uploaded by JuneNY
Today was a REAL adventure, one that will be hard to match or beat!


I had something else in mind when I called Leslie this morning (going to Gilbertsville and Mt Upton maybe) but she mentioned a new geocache hidden in Franklin. We decided we could combine that with two other geocaches in Delhi. We met up at her house at eleven a.m. and headed to Franklin.

We found the geocache fairly quickly. After we signed the log, etc. I suggested we just keep driving down Main Street in Franklin (a very small town in Delaware County)
and see if Franklin had anything else interesting. I noticed a ghost sign that said MobilGas as we drove by it, so when we turned around and headed back, I told Leslie that I needed to take a picture of the sign.

I pulled in and took the picture, and then I realized that we had stopped in a really special place. I could see several really old cars under a metal canopy close to where we parked. We glanced at them and then walked towards the front entrance of the building. A guy came out and I told him we were just looking around. He called out to "Mel" and told him that he had company.

Mel came out and we started talking. He was so friendly! He told us about a couple of items inside the shop and then said he would take us out back so we could see more old vehicles. I quickly put new batteries in my camera and we went back. I was amazed at what he had stored behind his shop. He told us about several of the old vehicles. Of particular interest was a Brooks House of BBQ race car. I think Mel said it was from the sixties.

Mel pointed out a vehicle he referred to as a "doodlebug". I asked him what that means and he said that a doodlebug is a tractor that has been made from an old car. he talked about his doodlebug club and the clubhouse. He took us into the clubhouse, which was part of his shop. A couple of pictures are attached up above. The picture to the left of the sign is of the television in the clubhouse.

After taking a multitude of pictures for flickr (you can see my Franklin set taken today here http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/sets/72157623767932651/ ), Leslie and headed towards Delhi.

Once there, we found two geocaches. One was in the woods right along Route 10, and the other is on the grounds of the Humane Society. The Humane Society has nice walking trails in the woods. Lots of people visit and take a dog or two for a walk.

By that time it was mid afternoon and we were getting hungry. I suggested we pull in at a nearby rest area and purchase a hot dog from the vendor who is there. We did that. After eating, we looked at a Delaware County map and debated whether or not to take an alternate route home. I decided against it, since I was expecting Christa to come over and I didn't want to use up time in case we got lost.

It was a great day! Geocaching sometimes leads to discovering places you never would have found!

No comments:

Post a Comment