Saturday, April 10, 2010

Earth Day Adventure: April 10, 2010





Earth Day2010April10 012
Originally uploaded by JuneNY


Leslie and I agreed to get together to go on a birdwatching walk with the Audobon Club this morning. I met her at her house and she drove to Riddell Park. We expected to join up with a group from the Audobon Society who were conducting a "bird walk" as part of EARTH FESTIVAL 2010. However, they changed their itinerary and since they did not know we were planning to meet up with them, we found ourselves somewhat stranded. We waited a bit and talked with a couple of other people who were trying to meet up with the group and then decided to take a walk of our own.



I tried out the binoculars my Dad gave me at Christmas time, and found out that they worked great. Leslie was able to identify several birds by their various calls and appearance. All in all, I think we spent over an hour in Riddell Park, hiking on their trail, watching birds and I took a lot of pictures. I was happy to find the ghost sign for a rod and gun club on an old barn (see the picture up above) Originally, the property was the Riddell family farm, and several dilapidated buildings still stand as well as the remnants of a large old sled. It was a great walk in Riddell, even if it was cold and windy at various times.


Pictures I took at Riddell Park can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/sets/72157623702298385/

After leaving Riddell, we headed to the Earth Festival in Milford. However, as we approached Milford, we saw signs saying it started at eleven a.m. Since it was only about ten a.m. I suggested we continue on to Cooperstown so we could look for the geocache A DAY AT THE MUSEUMS, which we tried to find a couple of months ago when there was snow on the ground. Today, Leslie found it. I was too interested in the remains of an old canoe that I found and let her do the searching. Also, I had NO intention of climbing down that hill that far. Anyways, it is a great geocache, and each of us were able to take an arrowhead, seen in the picture up above.


You can see a picture of the old canoe I found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juneny/4508132549/in/set-72157623174173539/

We arrived at the Earth Festival around eleven fifteen. We walked around, looking at the exhibits. I signed up for a few things and picked up a bunch of "freebies". There was a display of skeletons of various animals. Up above is a picture of the bones of a HUGE turtle. We decided to have lunch right there at the festival. THE LUCKY DOG was offering a few items, as well as some items from other organic restaurants. I had homemade cream of tomato soup with a piece of delicious bread. Leslie had quiche.



On the way home, we stopped to check on one of my caches: CHRISTMAS ALL THE TIME. Someone had reported that it had water in it. I cleaned it out, put a new notebook in it (thanks Leslie for always being prepared for any geocaching need) and hid it a bit further away from the water. Hopefully, it will stay dry.



It warmed up beautifully and the sun was shining in the early afternoon. It was a great day!










No comments:

Post a Comment